Sway me . . .

WeiserBucks

Time to order bullets for my 300 Norma. I've got 215 Hybrids and 225 ELD-M'S on the bench to play with. I've been using the 215s with amazing results in my 300 WM, never fired a round with the 225s. This is my 1st 300 Norma. My question is is it worth it to buy some 230s, considering the potential of the cartridge?

Time to order bullets for my 300 Norma. I've got 215 Hybrids and 225 ELD-M'S on the bench to play with. I've been using the 215s with amazing results in my 300 WM, never fired a round with the 225s. This is my 1st 300 Norma. My question is is it worth it to buy some 230s, considering the potential of the cartridge?
Yes! But the 225's we're mighty impressive in my 30/375 S.I. @ 1854 yards

I want to achieve the best possible ballistics given the case capacity. I know from experience that the 215s work great on targets and game at 2800 fps, the Norma should send them at 3050+ easily. I simply don't have any experience with the 225s or 230s.
Depends on what you want to achieve.

Steve

I want to achieve the best possible ballistics given the case capacity. I know from experience that the 215s work great on targets and game at 2800 fps, the Norma should send them at 3050+ easily. I simply don't have any experience with the 225s or 230s.
I ran them at 3050 in my S.I.

I'm running an 8 twist, haven't established a true effective hunting range due to lack of opportunity as yet in the field for a truly long shot . My local range goes to 1100 yards and hits with my WM aren't an issue barring 20+ MPH winds . This is my 1st 300 Norma, it'll be in hand soon . I love trying new things and experimenting, my WM is great, just got the Norma itch and I'm going to scratch it .

I am in the same boat as WB.

I opted to have barrel throated for 230 Hybrid as it's more proven on game than the ELD-M, so far.

If I get lazy, or somehow, misplace the ammo. Push to shove, Norma has 300 loaded ammo in 230 as well as Berger (when available).

The 230 SMK will play better with 8 twist as recommended by Sierra.

If the pill isnt too much longer than the Berger, then you may not loose much MV. But longer I would think it would cut into powder volume.

JMHO.

While Broz showed us just how effective the 215s are on big game, I kept using the 230 match target hybrid in my 300 Rum. While my experience is limited due to the rarity of getting drawn I have been very pleased with the choice of bullet.

Shot a nice 6 x 6 the last day of the last Az bull hunt this past December. It killed that bull with authority. He was facing me at a slight angle. The bullet entered the chest and exited ribs behind one shoulder. He turned around to flee and dropped 5 ft from where he was hit. Shot was 156 yds. The last time I got an elk tag before that was five years earlier. That time I shot a huge cow at 250 yds and a double scapula shot put her down in her tracks. In both instances the bullet did its job with no fragmenting and little meat damage.

I also witnessed a friend use that bullet from his 300 WSM at a normal sized cow elk at 300 yds. Double lunged her. She stopped walking at the shot and in less than 10 seconds fell over stiff legged like a chopped down tree.

In all instances that heavy bullet exited. I have a two friends that usedthe 230 to take coues wt, Barbary sheep, and a moose from their 300 Rums. They were pleased with their results too.

The bullet is easy to load with its hybrid design. To me there is no other bullet for a big 30 cal cartridge for big game hunting. You asked.....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.