Sway me . . .

I am in the same boat as WB.

I opted to have barrel throated for 230 Hybrid as it's more proven on game than the ELD-M, so far.

If I get lazy, or somehow, misplace the ammo. Push to shove, Norma has 300 loaded ammo in 230 as well as Berger (when available).

The 230 SMK will play better with 8 twist as recommended by Sierra.

If the pill isnt too much longer than the Berger, then you may not loose much MV. But longer I would think it would cut into powder volume.

JMHO.
It may not necessarily cut into the powder columum because the Sierra's have a very long nose, especially when you consider the tip. I'm guessing the cbto is not much different?

I havent measured one to be sure elk, I guess the longer nose section through my perspective off compared to the Hybrid.

Having invested in 1500 Hybrids to load up, I will digress to other members to validate.

It may not necessarily cut into the powder columum because the Sierra's have a very long nose, especially when you consider the tip. I'm guessing the cbto is not much different?

I haven't put a 225 eld on game yet but they are impressive and I expect the same results I've had with the 208 eld/a max. I've killed a lot of game with the 208 from 100 yards to 980 with amazing results. I just ordered some of the new 200 grain smk to play with. At my elevation my 10 twist still works for them. They might be worth a look for you. Sierra told me they are 1.545". Huge bc and you could crank them out with the norma.

I haven't put a 225 eld on game yet but they are impressive and I expect the same results I've had with the 208 eld/a max. I've killed a lot of game with the 208 from 100 yards to 980 with amazing results. I just ordered some of the new 200 grain smk to play with. At my elevation my 10 twist still works for them. They might be worth a look for you. Sierra told me they are 1.545". Huge bc and you could crank them out with the norma.
Are you planning to use the Sierra 200smk on game?

I don't plan on using them on game at this point. If I do I will start small (coyote) then whitetail and see how things look.
They should be at my house Monday but I won't be messing with them until after bear season at least in my 300ss.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.