Swarovski Z6i 5-30 x 50 BT L - not enough verticle adjustment to zero at 50 yards?

SWS5158

I just mounted a Swaro Z6i 5-30 BT L scope on my Weatherby Mark V Ultalight 300 WBY MAG. I used the existing Leupold 30MM rings and bases that were used with the previously mounted Steiner 3-12 X 56 Predator Extreme scope. I could use medium rings instead of the high rings that were in place. I bore sighted at 25 yards at home, had to raise vertical about 4" to get on center and then went to the range. Shot at 50 yards to get centered for 100 yard sight in. First shot was 2" low, attempted to raise the zero but ran out of clicks after only raising the zero 1". So here i am with no adjustment left. Is there something wrong with the scope or my ring / base setup? I am hoping to have enough adjustment to shoot at up to 600 yards. I realize that I could put a 20 MOA base and change my rings, would that be enough to give the elevation i will need for 600 yards?

It's your BT turret. take the top off and there is a little dial inside with an arrow on it. You need to spin it till it stops. Take a look at your instructions it will show you how. It is a zero stop of sorts.

It's your BT turret. take the top off and there is a little dial inside with an arrow on it. You need to spin it till it stops. Take a look at your instructions it will show you how. It is a zero stop of sorts.

Thanks for the suggestion; I did take all that off when sighting in and moved the locking ring in both directions. That did not free up any addition elevation clicks. Looking at the spec's on this scope it shows to have 43.2" of elevation adjustment, not sure if that means in either direct from center of max available from bottom to top?

The elevation adjustment is the total travel, probably at 100 yds. Ideally, your scope should zero at the midpoint of the elevation travel.

The elevation adjustment is the total travel, probably at 100 yds. Ideally, your scope should zero at the midpoint of the elevation travel.

That make sense to me, and I would say that every other scope that i have ever used worked just like that. I have several other brands, Leupold, Steiner, Nightforce, Nikon, etc. The ring and base set is nothing special, those worked fine with the Steiner scope that I just removed. I am thinking that if I add a 20 MOA base i could get back 20" roughly of elevation @ 100 yards, does that make sense? or should i just contact Swarovski for the solution and possibly return the scope?

If it were my rig, I think I would want to figure what's going wrong. I'd contact Swaro and ask if there might be an odjustment or whether something sounds wrong to them.

A 20MOA base might tweak the scope into the right position, but it the underlying problem would still exist.

For a 600yd 300 wby mag gun, a 20MOA sight base makes sense once everything else is worked out.

For the record, I'm installing a Talley 20MOA base on a Howa 1500 in 6.5 CM. A Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6 - 24X 50mm FFP will be sitting on top of the scope base in Vortex rings.

SWS5158, on the Z6 scopes there are two turret lock rings one of which can be used with the turret in place and another one hidden in side. You may well have found the inside one but I thought I would take a couple of photos for you. The top white arrow is the inside one and it also has to be turned to allow you more elevation. Once you have sighted in your rifle you turn it in the direction of the arrow as it is your zero stop. If you have already found this I apologize.
20190529_143135.jpg
20190529_143203.jpg

If it were my rig, I think I would want to figure what's going wrong. I'd contact Swaro and ask if there might be an odjustment or whether something sounds wrong to them.

A 20MOA base might tweak the scope into the right position, but it the underlying problem would still exist.

For a 600yd 300 wby mag gun, a 20MOA sight base makes sense once everything else is worked out.

For the record, I'm installing a Talley 20MOA base on a Howa 1500 in 6.5 CM. A Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6 - 24X 50mm FFP will be sitting on top of the scope base in Vortex rings.

Thanks Silverhair,

I agree that there is an underlying issue. I will reach out to Swarovski for advice. I am not sure how to calculate how far out the 20 MOA base would get me, but i don't think i could get to 600 yards since i am starting out below zero with the adjustment at it's limit. I will refresh this post when i get to the bottom of the issue whether it is a Swarovski problem or my own ineptness.

SWS5158, on the Z6 scopes there are two turret lock rings one of which can be used with the turret in place and another one hidden in side. You may well have found the inside one but I thought I would take a couple of photos for you. The top white arrow is the inside one and it also has to be turned to allow you more elevation. Once you have sighted in your rifle you turn it in the direction of the arrow as it is your zero stop. If you have already found this I apologize. View attachment 135848 View attachment 135849

Kiwikid,

Thanks for the photos for reference! The top photo looks just like my pieces. I took all this off and found the zero lock ring with the arrow ( second grooved ring from top in the second photo ) but my scope does not have the lower ring with the arrow pointing right and ears on either side. I can't get to mine right now or i would send you a picture of it. Do you think that I have a different version or is something missing on mine?

SWS5158,

Looking at the photos on the Swarovski site it appears the the Z6i 5-30 x 50 BT L doesn't have the lower lock ring. I have a 1.7-10 and a 2.5-15 and they both have it. So I do apologize for heading you in the wrong direction.

SWS5158,

Looking at the photos on the Swarovski site it appears the the Z6i 5-30 x 50 BT L doesn't have the lower lock ring. I have a 1.7-10 and a 2.5-15 and they both have it. So I do apologize for heading you in the wrong direction.

That's not a problem. I do appreciate you guys trying to help me! I'll try to reach out to Swarvoski tomorrow to see what they have to offer.

Thanks Silverhair,

I agree that there is an underlying issue. I will reach out to Swarovski for advice. I am not sure how to calculate how far out the 20 MOA base would get me, but i don't think i could get to 600 yards since i am starting out below zero with the adjustment at it's limit. I will refresh this post when i get to the bottom of the issue whether it is a Swarovski problem or my own ineptness.

It looks like 300 wby mag is going to have pretty significant drop at 600 yds. 20 MOA adjustment at 600 yds is 120 inches. Extrapolating the 300 wby mag trajectory graphs to 600 yards, it will take more than the 21 MOA or so adjustment off center of the scope to compensate for that kind of range. But adding a 20MOA base will probably give you what you're after once you get the basic setup working as it should.

You could also try shimming your scope up. I found taking a pop (or soda) can and cutting strips out of it are a perfect way to shim up the scope just a little bit to gain some elevation off the zero. Itake not the most conventional method but seemed to work out good for both my dad and myself.

I just mounted a Swaro Z6i 5-30 BT L scope on my Weatherby Mark V Ultalight 300 WBY MAG. I used the existing Leupold 30MM rings and bases that were used with the previously mounted Steiner 3-12 X 56 Predator Extreme scope. I could use medium rings instead of the high rings that were in place. I bore sighted at 25 yards at home, had to raise vertical about 4" to get on center and then went to the range. Shot at 50 yards to get centered for 100 yard sight in. First shot was 2" low, attempted to raise the zero but ran out of clicks after only raising the zero 1". So here i am with no adjustment left. Is there something wrong with the scope or my ring / base setup? I am hoping to have enough adjustment to shoot at up to 600 yards. I realize that I could put a 20 MOA base and change my rings, would that be enough to give the elevation i will need for 600 yards?
Does your scope have tactical turrets and a rings or lines that show you the revolutions you make?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.