Swarovski Z5, Z6, or Nightforce NX8

tknuts103

Hello,

I typically use Swarovski z5 riflescopes on my guns but was thinking about changing it up on my newest rifle. I have the Browning hells canyon chambered in 6.8 western and was wondering what other members would recommend between the Swarovski z5, z6, and the nightforce Nx8. I love the Swarovski ballistic turrets more than anything but they max out around 600 yards on my guns. I would probably never shoot at an animal that far but would like to practice much further if possible. Do any of you have the NX8 and would you recommend it for long range hunting?

The NX8 is a nice scope. Clear glass, plenty of dial and tough as nails. But...I did finally get an X5 and WOW. Talk about amazing glass and turrets. I have not put it through the paces as I have the NX8s but it is a step up in glass quality IMO.

But to answer your question...yes I do think the NX8 is a excellent long range hunting scope. Skip the 20x and move on to the 32x. Not enough difference in weight and you will enjoy the extra magnification.

Thanks for the replies everyone. As much as I want the x5, it is out of my price range. I would want to spend right around 2 grand or less. My go to deer rifle is a 25-06 with z5 and the tracking works perfectly. I am just wondering if the z5 would handle the recoil of the 6.8 western. I have been told the z6 in 30mm tube has 2 more leaf springs so is more reliable and I know the nx8 is bomb proof. I am leaning towards the nx8 just for the tracking but would love to hear about experiences with the z5 and z6 on high caliber rifles.

You can't beat the rugged, reliability of NF, but it comes with a price. They are tanks.

I do not have an NX8, but have had and have NSXs. Replaced one with a Z3. Love that scope for what it does, glass is clearest I have. I do like to dial though.

Yes, it will handle the recoil. But not if you drop it :p

Thanks for the replies everyone. As much as I want the x5, it is out of my price range. I would want to spend right around 2 grand or less. My go to deer rifle is a 25-06 with z5 and the tracking works perfectly. I am just wondering if the z5 would handle the recoil of the 6.8 western. I have been told the z6 in 30mm tube has 2 more leaf springs so is more reliable and I know the nx8 is bomb proof. I am leaning towards the nx8 just for the tracking but would love to hear about experiences with the z5 and z6 on high caliber rifles.
From what I've read the Z3 has 2 erector springs
Z5 and above should be 4 as springs. There is some reference online that Swarovski glass is all the same. The glass is great but it doesn't get better in higher models. I cannot find confirmation.

I've used a Z6 on safari and my mate loves his , these are 30mm tubes and 6x zoom so the weight increases.

Z3 entry level light, clear , affordable and a great hunting scope.

Z5 , 5x zoom and dearer , cause I want the Z5 2.4-12x50 a versatile hunting scope in my view. Fairly light for class.

Nightforce are all tanks and heavy by default I know guys with SHV series and they are good,

There could be some dialling turrets for Swarovski,

Personally I think Swarovski for hunting and a Nightforce if you are looking to dial and shoot/hunt long range.