Swarovski Z5 Riflescope vs. NXS Riflescope 5.5-22x56

RandySmith

I am working on getting my Rem 300 RUM complete. Now I have to decide on the scope. I have a Swarovski Z5 Riflescope but have been looking at the Nightforce NXS scope. Which scope is better for long distance shooting? Thanks for the help.

Tough to answer without knowing (i) intended use (hunting vs. paper punching), (ii) magnification and reticle of Z5, (iii) preference to FFP vs. SFP, (iv) preference to MOA vs. MIL, etc.

With that said, I think the glass at distance is superior on the Swaro, but the optionality (turrets, mil vs. MOA, zero stop, etc) is superior on Nightforce. All depends on the answers to the questions above.

I have a Z5 with BT and 4W reticle. Turret maxed out on a 7Mag at 725 yards. Also MOA windage marks are 2 minutes apart. Also have G7 NXS on 7Ultra. Can dial turret out 1700 Yards on this. Your 300RUM is capable of shooting that distance. You will be under scoped with the swaro. You'll be disappointed with the swaro on the RUM. I put my swaro on a 25.06. Much better match for that caliber.

Those are very different scopes. The Swaro is a lightweight hunting scope; the NXS is a heavyweight tactical scope (which of course could be used for hunting).

I would give the Swaro the edge in glass.

The NXS will take a lot more punishment if you expect rough conditions, but it also weighs significantly more. If you are dialing in distances for every shot, the Nightforce has the edge on usability.

If you are going to shoot beyond 700 yards go with the Nightforce. The Swarovski won't give you the distance.

Seems like the biggst difference between the two is weight. The nightforce weighs 30 oz and the Swar weighs 15ish oz. The glass quality on both is amazing. I choose the nightforce as it has a great reticle, the best turret with the most travel and a reputation of durability.

Don't forget the SHV model too!

the nxs. get a 5.5-22x50 or 56 great scope. if you need to save more money try their new shv line. i would stick to the nxs or atacr as i've had great luck with them

The ATACR is a real step up in glass quality from the NXS; if you have the budget, I would go with that. Since the Beast came out and Nightforce announced the new models, the older ATACRs can be found for $2k or sometimes less.

But if your selection range is the Swarovski Z5 vs. Nightforce, I highly recommend that you find a place to handle borth, because they are very different scopes.

Hello

I have decided to get a NF, can anyone recommend what model will work. I am looking to use the scope for hunting long range. My budget is around $1000. I want something that is simple to use.

If you are set on a nightforce, for the $1000 range will will probably need to look at the SHV. Not sure you can even find the NXS used for a $1000. I have both and will say that the SHV seems to be a very nice scope. It's clear and tracks well. I have read posts that say the shv won't stand the dialing of the turrets as many times as the nxs. I don't know if this is true or not. Good luck and shoot safe

If I wanted to splurg and get a NXS, which one would you suggest. I don't want to buy a scope only to turn around and by another one. I am putting it on my 300 RUM, so I want to get something that will take a pounding.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts