Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 or Z6 3-18x50?

Well for what it's worth when I called swarovski to ask about the z5 vs z6 I was told the following. First the glass was the same glass however there is a HD coating on the z6, the 30mm tube is more of a rugged scope able to take more punishment, however the 30mm will not let in more light. I was also told that some people who looked through both scopes were unable to tell a difference between the two. Now with that being said I'm not saying that the z6 isn't better than the z5 I just don't feel in my OPINION its worth the $1k more in price for the long range scope I needed for my set-up. I'm also a nikon fan as I feel they offer awesome clarity, however I will say that in my opinion from 400 yards on beyond the swarovski just blows the nikon away! The long range detail the z5 (5-25x52) offers is amazing.

I have also spoke directly to swaro rep & I guess it depends on what rep you talk to because the rep I talked to told me most guys he has had discussions with told him the naked eye could not make a distinction between the z5 vs z6 as far as clarity! Yes the z6 has hd glass & a 30mm tube to hold up to a tougher recoil! but as far as clarity you wont be able to tell. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of spending $2400 vs $1600 but if I'm spending $2400 it better be worth the xtra $$$. BTW I have never had an issues with distortion at the edge of my z5 & I did look through a z6 and it is very nice but did nothing for me as far as being better clarity then the z5, however everyone's eye is different so I would go look for myself. As far as z5 toughness I do know that a 300 rum using 210 gr bergers has not & will not be enough to break a z5! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.