Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 or Z6 3-18x50?

Yes, I have spoken directly to Swarovski about this. They use FL glass in the Z6.

Also, the tube diameter has nothing to do with the brightness. The tube diameter is what determines the amount of motion of the erector. The objective lens is what determines how much light gets into the scope. The use of better glass and coatings is what improves transmission. The diameter of the tube does not.

Tube Diameter will affect clarity/brightness as there will be less distortion with the larger tube.

I wonder why swaro stated to me that all of the z series used the same glass? Someone didnt know what they were talking about. either the person you talked to or the person i talked to.

same glass, diff tube size, for me the z5 is the best of swaro world in cost and effectivness, problem is once you buy a swaro you will sale your leuopolds:D

Tube Diameter will affect clarity/brightness as there will be less distortion with the larger tube.

I wonder why swaro stated to me that all of the z series used the same glass? Someone didnt know what they were talking about. either the person you talked to or the person i talked to.

I am also not sure where the confusion comes from but there is different glass in the Z6 models. Ilya first noted that in his 2010 SHOT show review. If you go to the Swarovski page you will see that the Z6 has changed to a new version this year "Second Generation" and there are some interesting changes. However, if you go through the general discussion you will see that the discussion of the glass is similar to what Ilya said in that the higher magnification of the Z6 uses HD glass (and they define that). The lower magnification versions of the Z6 lines also use a different set of coatings.

Think about it for a minute. Why would (or could) the cost skyrocket with the higher erector magnification if there were not a difference in components.

Back to the idea of the tube and the advantages of a larger tube. This has been beatern to death in the threads. The erector is not, necessarily, any larger in a larger tube. Its ability to travel is what you gain, not the amount of light that goes through. In some cases, at high magnifications and high zoom, and you need the extra room but the general reason for it is travel. That is why you look for large total travel for scopes that will be taking long shots and that is a larger turret. It is difficult to talk about the erectors because you have to pull the scope apart to really be able to discuss them. In general what you get with the larger tube is more travel.

lightwind
that makes since, so although the Z5 is a great scope I guess you could get a better view with the z6, I just know my z5 kicks any of my leupolds for clarity:)

I agree completely. The Z5 is a great scope but not in the "alpha" scope league. The Z6 is one of the alpha scopes, right up their with the Zeiss Victory, S&B, PH, and US Optics. They have just anounced their Gen-2 so I am waiting to see what the improvements have been. That is the reason you have seen a number of Z6 (Gen 1) on sale lately.

Here is the response I received from Swarovski when inquiring about the difference between Z5 and Z6. Between the weight and about $800 I just didn't want to do it. Maybe one day.

Hello

Thank you for your request at Swarovski Optik. The 30mm tube will not have distortion on the edges like the 1inch tubes have. Resolution and clarity will be better as well. Some of the Z6 line also has HD glass which will bring more color to your eye.

SWAROVSKI OPTIK NORTH AMERICA LTD
Michael Sequeira
2 Slater Road
Cranston, RI 02920
tel. 800-426-3089 x 2955
Fax. 877-287-8517
[email protected]
SWAROVSKI OPTIK - Ferngläser, Teleskope, Zielfernrohre, Jagd, Vogelbeobachtung, Reise&Freizeit, Digiscoping

Here is the response I received from Swarovski when inquiring about the difference between Z5 and Z6. Between the weight and about $800 I just didn't want to do it. Maybe one day.

Hello

Thank you for your request at Swarovski Optik. The 30mm tube will not have distortion on the edges like the 1inch tubes have. Resolution and clarity will be better as well. Some of the Z6 line also has HD glass which will bring more color to your eye.

SWAROVSKI OPTIK NORTH AMERICA LTD
Michael Sequeira
2 Slater Road
Cranston, RI 02920
tel. 800-426-3089 x 2955
Fax. 877-287-8517
[email protected]
SWAROVSKI OPTIK - Ferngläser, Teleskope, Zielfernrohre, Jagd, Vogelbeobachtung, Reise&Freizeit, Digiscoping

That is great information. I did not get as complete an answer - probably because I didn't ask as complete a question. Mine was related directly to the glass. Looking at the specifications I can see that there is no gain in travel in the 5-30 Z6 which must mean they have a larger diameter erector. I am sure that the erector is what is eliminating the distortion at the edges. However, that is not the same as brightness of total light (even though I think there is more total light because of the HD glass). The amount of light into the scope is determined by the objective lens. Loss within the scope is determined by the type of glass and coatings. My guess is that the difference in the Z6 erector is significant with respect to the Z3 and Z5. Don't get me wrong. I have a Z5 3.5-18X52 and a Z6 3-18X50 and I love them both. The center of both images is much better than any "beta' scopes, but only the Z6 is equal to my Zeiss Victory T* FL 6-24X56. When I compare those two, I lean toward the Z6. However, I agree the price/performance winner is the Z5.

Talked to the same guy from swaro today as this mis info i had was burning me.

Michael told me the following.

The HD is not in all the Z6's only the:

2.5-15x44
2.5-15x56
3-18x50
5-30x50

Glad we got that cleared up.

I guess I dont get these scope companies, concentrate on thing and do it the best, nightforce is nightforce no matter the model 100% the best, leupold is doing too many things and now the other companies are trying to follow:rolleyes:

I guess I dont get these scope companies, concentrate on thing and do it the best, nightforce is nightforce no matter the model 100% the best, leupold is doing too many things and now the other companies are trying to follow:rolleyes:

I think you are simplifying the picture too much. I think it is good that the companies are doing a lot of different things. We have a lot of different needs and the companies are responding. I'll use NightForce as one example. They make great equipment. However, it is not at the same level as Hensoldt, Schmidt And Bender, Premier, or Swarovski at their higher series. By that I mean that you would look at the Swarovski Z6 level, not the Z5 level.

However, there are a lot of other issues other than glass. For instance, NightForce is very strongly built (hence a lot heavier) than a Swarovski. If you have folks shooting back at you you want something that is not goign to fail and that is reflected in price. I think that it is good that a company like Zeiss has three levels of scope prices. That reflects three levels of scope quality - but even the lowest level is way above trash like Barska or BSA.

The experience gathered in the high-end manufacturing is passed along in the lower end systems and it shows. A Zeiss Conquest is not as good as a Zeiss Victory, but a lot better than the sub-$200 scopes that abound now coming from China.

Leupold is coming back from mediocrity that it has gone through for the past 4 years, but they are now showing some very competent scopes. They cover the gamut from low end $200 - nearly $5000 now. If you need a scope they can produce it for you.

I have a Leupold Mark 4 that is just about as good as my Vortex PST but both are not in the league of my Zeiss Victory, my Swarovski Z5, or my Swarovski Z6. I have no idea why you would slam a company that produces a variety of levels of scopes if they price them accordingly. Do you just have something agains Leupold? From my standpoint, I will be latching on to one of their VX-6s as well as a Mark 8 when they are available (if the reveiews continue to be as good as the initial reviews are). I will let Ilya give them a look and follow his lead.

There are a lot of great scopes out there made by a lot of manufacturers and they are not all concentrating on one level of scope. I think you greatly limit yourself if you get stuck labeling manufacturers (except maybe Countersniper and Barska) without giving them a chance. :)

I think you are simplifying the picture too much. I think it is good that the companies are doing a lot of different things. We have a lot of different needs and the companies are responding. I'll use NightForce as one example. They make great equipment. However, it is not at the same level as Hensoldt, Schmidt And Bender, Premier, or Swarovski at their higher series. By that I mean that you would look at the Swarovski Z6 level, not the Z5 level.

However, there are a lot of other issues other than glass. For instance, NightForce is very strongly built (hence a lot heavier) than a Swarovski. If you have folks shooting back at you you want something that is not goign to fail and that is reflected in price. I think that it is good that a company like Zeiss has three levels of scope prices. That reflects three levels of scope quality - but even the lowest level is way above trash like Barska or BSA.

The experience gathered in the high-end manufacturing is passed along in the lower end systems and it shows. A Zeiss Conquest is not as good as a Zeiss Victory, but a lot better than the sub-$200 scopes that abound now coming from China.

Leupold is coming back from mediocrity that it has gone through for the past 4 years, but they are now showing some very competent scopes. They cover the gamut from low end $200 - nearly $5000 now. If you need a scope they can produce it for you.

I have a Leupold Mark 4 that is just about as good as my Vortex PST but both are not in the league of my Zeiss Victory, my Swarovski Z5, or my Swarovski Z6. I have no idea why you would slam a company that produces a variety of levels of scopes if they price them accordingly. Do you just have something agains Leupold? From my standpoint, I will be latching on to one of their VX-6s as well as a Mark 8 when they are available (if the reveiews continue to be as good as the initial reviews are). I will let Ilya give them a look and follow his lead.

There are a lot of great scopes out there made by a lot of manufacturers and they are not all concentrating on one level of scope. I think you greatly limit yourself if you get stuck labeling manufacturers (except maybe Countersniper and Barska) without giving them a chance. :)
Dalebow just has a good time bashing Leupold.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.