Swarovski Z3 vs Z5 vs Z6

Camo123

What are the big differences between the various lines of Swarovski scopes. The prices vary by as much as $1,000. If I am shooting at a maximum distance of 300 to 350 yards will I be able to tell the difference?

What are the big differences between the various lines of Swarovski scopes. The prices vary by as much as $1,000. If I am shooting at a maximum distance of 300 to 350 yards will I be able to tell the difference?

i own a z3 ....have considered the z5 for the extra magnification....the z3 is excellent glass...ive heard the reticles are a bit thin in the z5 and z6 but ive never looked through one

I can get a Z3 for about 30% to 50% less than a new Z5 and the Z6. However I will not buy a scope again for this rifle and I don't want to be disappointed. However for a slight clarity difference I am OK saving the money. I already have $1,300 in the gun and I plan to spend about the same on the scope. A once in a lifetime expense. I will gun to son eventually.

Z3.....3X magnification.

Z5.....5x erector system, larger ocular lens than z3, patented 4-point coil spring system (for explanation click HERE)

Z6.... 6x erector, 30mm main tube, I'm pretty sure they do not use a 1" erector, 4-point coil spring system, largest ocular lens than the z5, hd lenses.

It's really something you have to look through to appreciate.

I had a similar dilemma about 4 years ago. For me, the Z6 did not have enough additional value relative to the others to warrant the price tag. So, it was down to Z3 vs Z5. I ended up choosing the Z5 for the additional magnification range (3.5-18) and have no regrets -especially- within 350 yards, where on large close critters I can crank down and on little far-out critters I can go to 18x.

I justified it (like you) as a once-in-a-lifetime expense. I now have two :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.