Swarovski X5i Which Reticle?

metalfarm

BRM and 4W are available in Mil and MOA from what I can tell. 4WX would be my first choice but it's only MOA and I'd rather have MIL as that's what the majority of my scopes are.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 1A5F3403-FD12-4ECE-AF62-10311503E82B.png
    1A5F3403-FD12-4ECE-AF62-10311503E82B.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 158
BRM and 4W are available in Mil and MOA from what I can tell. 4WX would be my first choice but it's only MOA and I'd rather have MIL as that's what the majority of my scopes are.

What are your thoughts?
Are you going add the Ballistic Turret option? Do you want to dial or hold over? - Or Both? The answer to this question should point you in the right direction.

Could you explain that as if I were a 6 year old please

if you want to dial the turret for range hold over at a distance, the WX reticle will work fine. The decision then is either stay with the standard elevation turret, or go step better with Ballistic Turret Option. With that turret you dial to the range shown on the dial of the turret to match your rangefinder - as with the Leupold Custom CDL turrets that are matched to your specific bullet dope. Note this scope can be ordered in either MOA calibration or MIL calibration at your preference.

if you want the option to quickly hold over the target for bullet drop compensation, then you would want the BRM reticle, because the 4W does not have ranging hash marks.

My favorite is the BRM with the Ballistic turret option because that way I have the choice of dialing with time available or holding over with the calibrated reticle of the BRM. The 4W is used primarily in Europe when hunting driven game which usually means shooting at running game in close quarters. Range calls aren't needed in those circumstances.

I have shot running game in both Europe and Africa. In Europe a 100 yd shot is quite typical. In Africa I've shot running game at 275 - 350 yds. In that situation you need to compensate for bullet drop - which makes the BRM much more handy because you have no time to dial the turret.

Make more sense now?

if you want to dial the turret for range hold over at a distance, the WX reticle will work fine. The decision then is either stay with the standard elevation turret, or go step better with Ballistic Turret Option. With that turret you dial to the range shown on the dial of the turret to match your rangefinder - as with the Leupold Custom CDL turrets that are matched to your specific bullet dope. Note this scope can be ordered in either MOA calibration or MIL calibration at your preference.

if you want the option to quickly hold over the target for bullet drop compensation, then you would want the BRM reticle, because the 4W does not have ranging hash marks.

My favorite is the BRM with the Ballistic turret option because that way I have the choice of dialing with time available or holding over with the calibrated reticle of the BRM. The 4W is used primarily in Europe when hunting driven game which usually means shooting at running game in close quarters. Range calls aren't needed in those circumstances.

I have shot running game in both Europe and Africa. In Europe a 100 yd shot is quite typical. In Africa I've shot running game at 275 - 350 yds. In that situation you need to compensate for bullet drop - which makes the BRM much more handy because you have no time to dial the turret.

Make more sense now?
Still a bit above my head but fantastic explanation.

One note the WX is not available MIL. MOA only. I think I'd prefer MIL only because most of my scopes are MIL. So maybe get the BRM? My concern there is it will be too busy while illuminated shooting deer at 100-200 yards which will be the majority of this scopes life. Thoughts?

Make more sense now?
OR should I go with something less complicated like Z8i? This is going on a custom bolt 18" CM for Mississippi white tail. No budget.

OR should I go with something less complicated like Z8i? This is going on a custom bolt 18" CM for Mississippi white tail. No budget.
The Z8i will give you as good of glass as you can get and w/ the BRX - most likely no need to dial although I think clicks are mils. Just do the range work to figure your drops for each position. I think it comes with cards for various calibers, but I would want to be certain.

I went with the 4WX. If anyone happens to see this thread it seems the x5 was originally offered in MOA and MIL but the MIL has been discontinued according to Doug at cameraland