Swarovski vs. Zeiss, HELP

I have the 3.5-18 plex on my Sako 85 7mm-08. I set the BT this weekend, it was VERY easy and VERY accurate. You will need to enter you bullets BC and muzzle Vel into the calculator an Swaros website. Or you can enter your factory load. On mine I have a zero at 100yd, turn to green dot for 250, yellow dot for 300, red dot for 350. I should have set them out longer but I ran out of time as opening day is Saturday. Watch the video on how to set the BT. Get a good range finder and you are set
I can't tell you how great the Z5 is

Over what range of altitudes do you plan to hunt?

Be aware that the Z5 BT turret only has 10.5 IPHY of range (nearly one revolution). You probably know that, but the other readers may not. You might get out to 650 yds at high elevation (>8,000 ft) with a 200 yd zero. At lower elevations, 550 yds is more likely.

Hmmm. My Z5 BT with the 4w ret has a full 13 MOA in one revolution. I didnt bother with the custom yardage cap just went straight for the MOA version.
IMG_0019_zpsc5343316.jpg

Hmmm. My Z5 BT with the 4w ret has a full 13 MOA in one revolution. I didnt bother with the custom yardage cap just went straight for the MOA version.
Oops, you're right. 10.5 IPHY is for the Z3 4-12x50. The Z5 turret range is 13.25 IPHY. Thanks for the correction.

Hi, Got a tag to hunt ELK late november in Ely, Nevada and the elevation is 6000 ft. Up in the Andes where I hunt Deer we hunt at 8000 ft Now if I do a plains hunt in Namibia or Proghorn out west I would be at see level Looks like I would need more than one BT ring
That's too big spread for one custom turret. Your max range likely will be about 650 yds at sea level, and nearly 700 yds at 7,000 ft. Consider using the stock BT, and adjusting the indicator rings to suit the conditions. Or you could buy one custom turret for the higher altitude and use the stock BT for sea level.

You will likely end up using the stock BT more than you think. Any time you change altitudes or ammunition, you may need a different custom turret. With the BT, you simply calculate the new ring positions, reset them on the turret, and you're done.

Looking to buy a new scope for a 300 WM and appreciate your comments.

Have been looking at the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 x44 BT 4W and the Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15 x 42 plex with a Kenton top nob.

About a $ 500.00 price difference between them and wanted to hear your comments on them scopes. Is the swarovski that much better ???

Thanks, Wille

Well the Conquest series is the very basic off the Zeiss if you want Zeiss kindly go for Duralite the quality is superb and very good when the light is fading away you are able to get a few extra minutes and also has a adjustable Red lot.

Oops, you're right. 10.5 IPHY is for the Z3 4-12x50. The Z5 turret range is 13.25 IPHY. Thanks for the correction.

That's too big spread for one custom turret. Your max range likely will be about 650 yds at sea level, and nearly 700 yds at 7,000 ft. Consider using the stock BT, and adjusting the indicator rings to suit the conditions. Or you could buy one custom turret for the higher altitude and use the stock BT for sea level.

You will likely end up using the stock BT more than you think. Any time you change altitudes or ammunition, you may need a different custom turret. With the BT, you simply calculate the new ring positions, reset them on the turret, and you're done.

Thanks for the advice Bruce_ventura,
Could you clarify the following: Z5 3.5-18x44 and Z5 5-25X52 them both scopes have the same field of view at the lower setting (21.9 ft), does that mean that I will see the same thru both scopes at their lowest magnification ???
Regards, John Wille

I'll probably go to one of the "set yardage" caps but I'm a reloader and always changing bullets and powders. If I ever settle on one load I will buy one. I think Kennon makes them for Swarovski

Thanks for the advice Bruce_ventura, Could you clarify the following: Z5 3.5-18x44 and Z5 5-25X52 them both scopes have the same field of view at the lower setting (21.9 ft), does that mean that I will see the same thru both scopes at their lowest magnification ??? Regards, John Wille

John,

The FOV at the lowest mag is 30 ft for the 3.5-18x44, and 21.9 ft for the 5-25X52.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts