Swarovski Scopes for Long Range Hunting

chesspunker

I've always loved Swarovski scopes for their glass. I'm thinking of upgrading my deer rifle from a Z3 4-10 x 42 plex reticle to a big boy scope that will make it easier to shoot long distances.

Does anyone else out there use Swarovski and have success with long range shooting? A friend of mine told me to stay away from Swarovski for long range since they only have 2nd focal plane as an option meaning you must be at max power for your hold lines to be valid. Personally, I would think that if you are shooting super long range you would always want to have your scope on max power, but I'm new to the long range game and I'd like to hear opinions.

Please give me your pros or cons about Swarovski. If you are against them please give me your scope of choice and why. I definitely want a lined reticle with built in holds because it sounds much easier than having to turn a turret all the time.

Thanks!

I Had a NXS and now have a 3.5x18 x5. It's an awesome long range scope. I like the eyebox better, it does low light better, I just wish it had smaller turrets.

I Had a NXS and now have a 3.5x18 x5. It's an awesome long range scope. I like the eyebox better, it does low light better, I just wish it had smaller turrets.
My buddy who was bagging on Swarovski prefers NightForce. Thanks for your input.

I personally have a Swarovski Z5, but don't do long range. I don't twist the turrets either, as all of my shots have been under 300 yards to date. If I were going to build a rifle for long range, I personally would go with Nightforce on the rifle. Never had a Nightforce, but it seems to be the "go to" for long range shooters around here who like the repeatability and twisting the turrets.

Last edited:
I appreciate your opinion Laelkhunter! My farthest shot to date has been 300 yards and I got the job done on the first shot. However, the property I hunt in Napa for black tail deer has some very wide canyons with good visibility. It would be nice to have the option to shoot farther if I saw the buck of my dreams and didn't have a way to stalk him. Right now I really wouldn't feel comfortable going much past 300 yards. I'm really going to consider the NightForce. I heard they have a Horus reticle option where you don't have to twist the turrets.

I like a second focal plane for hunting. First focal can make the retical too small for my old eyes to see. Especially on a close up moving target. I also prefer to dial for long range hunting. If there isn't time to dial there isn't time enough to observe wind and be set up to shoot imo. Only problem with nightforce is how much they weigh. I just put a sig whisky 5 on my last build. Seems like a nice scope. Haven't put it to the test yet so am withholding judgment.

I don't shoot big game beyond 500yds. My whitetail rifle has a Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 with ballistic turret. The 25x is very helpful when taking a close look at rack quality without taking your sights off the animal.
The scope is also particularly light and lacks the bulky appearance of so many other high power scopes.
I have taken many whitetails with this set up between 400yd & 500 yds. Dial up with a custom turret is quick and easy.

I appreciate your opinion Laelkhunter! My farthest shot to date has been 300 yards and I got the job done on the first shot. However, the property I hunt in Napa for black tail deer has some very wide canyons with good visibility. It would be nice to have the option to shoot farther if I saw the buck of my dreams and didn't have a way to stalk him. Right now I really wouldn't feel comfortable going much past 300 yards. I'm really going to consider the NightForce. I heard they have a Horus reticle option where you don't have to twist the turrets.
Look at the nightforce shv very hard.

The X5 is an awesome scope. I have not started to ring mine out yet but it will have to have a serious malfunction for me to not love it. I prefer 2nd focal plane as long as the reticle is subtended for max power.

The X5 is an awesome scope. I have not started to ring mine out yet but it will have to have a serious malfunction for me to not love it. I prefer 2nd focal plane as long as the reticle is subtended for max power.
I really appreciate all of the feedback. I've been very successful with Swarovski for so many years that it's going to be hard to change brands but I'm going to read about all of the suggestions I'm getting on this chat and research every single one of them before I pull the trigger. (Pun intended)

Right now I'm still leaning towards the Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 with BRH reticle. I like the idea of keeping my gun light weight and I've read here and elsewhere that with the BRH I should be able to easily reach 500 yards. I really don't have any desire to go further than that at this point in time (especially on game). I've heard from multiple folks that 12 power is really all I need for 500 yards and it will help in picking up my target since it still has a pretty wide point of view.

Unfortunately you haven't told us what you consider long range or what cartridge you are shooting. I have several Z5 3.5-18x44mm scopes with the ballistic turret. The Z5 has a zero stop and the three coloured rings give you three additional ranges that you personally set. If you are shooting a 25-06 with 100gr Sierra GK at 3300 fps the Z5 will let you dial to 650y as an example. Have a look at the Swarovski ballistic site where you can select the scope and input all your load details.
http://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/Ballistic-Program
I personally think dialing is much easier than trying to work out what reticle line you need to use and it means your scope view is uncluttered. Good luck.

Edit....Sorry, you posted while I was writing this.

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I've been very successful with Swarovski for so many years that it's going to be hard to change brands but I'm going to read about all of the suggestions I'm getting on this chat and research every single one of them before I pull the trigger. (Pun intended)

Right now I'm still leaning towards the Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 with BRH reticle. I like the idea of keeping my gun light weight and I've read here and elsewhere that with the BRH I should be able to easily reach 500 yards. I really don't have any desire to go further than that at this point in time (especially on game). I've heard from multiple folks that 12 power is really all I need for 500 yards and it will help in picking up my target since it still has a pretty wide point of view.

If it works for you then power to you but the z series is not a scope I would even consider for long range. They really have zero features I would look for in a long range scope.

I shoot a 7 MM WBY Magnum. I reload the Barnes 145 GR LRX for it and I'm able to hold 0.760" groups at 100 yards. My muzzle velocity is around 3200 FPS.

Can you please explain why in your opinion the Z series is not something to consider for long range? For me long range means 500 yards. I haven't purchased anything yet and I won't for a couple of months so I have a long time to consider all of my options.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts