Swarovski Scopes for Long Range Hunting

Thank you all VERY MUCH! I've pretty much settled on the Z6(i) 3-18x50 BT with the 4WI reticle. When I gave the nice fellow at Swarovski my ballistic information he said that scope will get me out past 800 yards which is plenty far for me.

I'm still considering the Z8(i) 2-16 x 50 BT with the 4WI reticle, but I'm not sure I need to spend the extra money. I like the idea of going to 18 magnification on the Z6 and saving a few bucks. The Z8 will get me past 1000 yards because the turret has more adjustment room than the Z6, but I'm not going to shoot at a game animal that far and I'm not a shooting competition guy.

The glass in the Z8 is the best on the market IMHO. Its fantastic..

WRO stated some very good facts about the turret rotations on the Z6 and Z8 ballistic turrets. Just recently I read an article from Swarovski stating that the no longer use the term HD for their lenses. The reason they gave for this is because apparently there is no industry standard for an HD lens.

You are correct, HD doesn't mean anything these days. It's just a cliche marketing term. It loosely means that the glass is made in a flourite enviroment. That being said, its not that big of a deal when compared to actual base glass quality.

All this depends on your application. I am a sheep hunter and have three Swarovski scopes because the glass is great and they are lighter than anything else for what they offer. Specifically, I have a Z5 3-18x44 and a Z6i 5-30x50, both with custom ballistic turrets. The Z5 is on a .257 WBY 700 yd max rifle and the Z6i is on a 6.5 SST 1000 yd rifle. I also have a new mid-size Z8i on my custom Anschutz 1727 f in .17 HMR.

People have a good point about how much turret elevation adjustment is available...but that all depends on your ballistics. The better your ballistics, the more adjustment you will have. Swaro has a calculator for you to figure this out. The X5 is a great scope with a TON of adjustment but at 30 oz., it, like the competitors are just too heavy for a sheep rifle.

So, for example, my 6.5 with a muzzle velocity of 3150 fps is getting me 925 yds of elevation adjustment on the Z6i with factory made turret for my specific rifle. If you were using a lesser cartridge, the yards of adjustment would go down proportionately...to say 600 yds for a 30/06. With the .257 WBY I get about 700 yds of elevation adjustment on the Z5. Not bad compromises for ultra lightweight hunting rifles.

The Z8i is wonderful, clear and bright and has more elevation adjustment that the other two. But, the Z8i line does not offer anything above 16 power in a 50 mm objective lens and only 18 power in a 56 mm. If there were a Z8i in a higher magnification of say 20 or 30X with a 50 mm lens, I would have it. So, the Z6i 5-30x50 is my current 1000 yd choice, given the great ballistics of the 6.5 SST. Without those kind of ballistics, folks are correct that your elevation adjustment will be limited...unless you get the heavier but great X5.

Thanks for your help! I ended up changing my mind and ordered the Z6 3-18 with the BRH. My goal is to be able to kill game at 500 yards and I know this scope will get me there if I do my part and practice. If I was shooting out to 1000 yards I'd get higher magnification but I like the 18 power for 500 yards.

You have made a GREAT choice. I had the Z5 5-25 with custom BT on my McWhorter 6.5 Weatherby, 200 yard zero , then went with the Z6 5-30 with custom turret, 100yd zero set to my handloads, 6.5 Creedmoor, it was on my Barrett, now on my new CORE Shooting Solutions 6.5 Creedmoor.

The 30X is ALLOT of magnification, which I love to have "when needed" . The eye box is very sensitive at 30X, so a SOLID rest is a must!!.

The MAIN reason I choose the Swarovskis besides the obvious GREAT glass, is the lightweight, a MAJOR need for me. I had a Nightforce SHV 5-20 another GREAT scope, VERY tractable, just wanted the extra lighter weight of the Swaro.

I will shoot my NEW rifle as soon as it quits raining and dries up a bit. Then order another turret, if needed, with the 5-30, 600 yards is about all the "come up" I will have, so its NOT a super long range scope but neither is my set up.

Click on the red "X"'s to see the McWhorter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.