Swarovski-Schmidt and Bender

Hello ds,
This has been a very helpful post for me, you all have given me a lot to think about. I've spent the last few hrs on the computer looking at different glass. That PM 2 that you have looks like a very nice unit also very expensive I could probably offset some of the cost by selling some of my wifes old jewlery. That actually sounds like a good idea.

The more I read I think I'm looking for 3-12 or 4-16 40-50mm obj., mil dot or similar recticle in the ffp, weighting around 20oz, with a lower profile target knob. I really like the NXS stuff but the walking hear in Alaska can be very dificult at times and I would like to keep the scope from getting to big and heavy. The S&B PH 3-12x42 is still sounding pretty good. It would be nice to hear from someone that had one and was trying to wear out the adjusment knobs on a regular basis. Zeiss also makes a 4.5-14 conquest but the recticle is on the 2nd fp. It seems that a mil dot recticle would be more useful on the ffp. it would be interesting to know what Pete Lincoln could get a PMII or a PH3-12 for. Looks like I have some decisions to make.

Thanks

Guys i know you all get ripped off over there on the price of european stuff,its the same this end, a rifle (take a HS precision for example) it costs $1900 in the states, it costs 1900 pounds in the UK and the bloke that imports em here to Germany charges 3200 euro.
Anyway back to optics. The Forestry Commision in the UK are having problems with thier wire reticles scopes since they put moderators on their rifles, the double impulse from the recoil and the can pulling the rifle forwared is breaking reticles fast. I would stay clear of wire reticles. Here is what i would choose:
If i had the money:

S&B PMII. i would chose the Schmidt over NXS, Zeiss or Swarovski, US Optics simply because i know the scopes are 100% reliable and have excellent optics. the weight issue is the same within a few ounces for all these bigger scopes.
Next:
S&B pro hunter / varmint. if i only need to get outto about 600m and want a 30mm tube, this is the scope.

Next:
well its a toss up between a Zeiss Conquest and a Premier Reticles modified Leupold.
why.. the price is less than for the above mentioned but ergonomics and quality are still reasonable.

Thereare other scopes out there with great optics, take a look at Gerhardt, Kahles, IOR etc if you are on a budget.

Ian, are you sure that the scopes where S&B as i can't believe you wouldn't be delighted with the quality of the optics, they are certainly better than any leuoold of NXS.
what do you think to that Horus reticle? most folks eitherlove it of hate it, i'm inthe latter catagorie, its to cluttered for anything but prarie dog shooting IMHO.
want a price S&B or anything european. email me.
cheers Pete

Pete,
The scopes were S&B's for definite, we shot them on .308's and .223's a lot. The Horus is an interesting reticle that works if you train yourself how to get the most from it. Most guys immediately put it down as being too cluttered (one sage on this board calls it the shower-curtain reticle, but he is getting older ever day...). We did some amazing long stuff with the little .223 with the Horus, on some windy days.
I found that the Horus is fantastic on an accurate .22 rimfire - kills gophers out to 200 yards with my rig. Very repeatable - for instance bar 11 is 150 yards, just put that bar on the critter, move a few bars over for wind and plink. You can see which bar the bullet hits nearest, put that bar on the critter and try again. Lots of fun.

I'm gonna jump on board here with Pete....

I have just aquired a S&B 4-16 PM II i can honestly say I havn't seem much better optics ever.. and I have looked through alot of scopes as a guide any and all euro glass and just about everything else... this S&B is right at the top if not the top....
Mine is NOT metric, I have the 1/4 clicks....

I also own a USO scope as well... 1/2 clicks

as far as the functionality.. I am still testing but I have to say the clicks are nice and stiff and there is no mushyness what so ever... very audible as well...

I have owned the NXS sieries and like them as well.... I have used them extensively and really came to like the R2 ret...

I was given oportunities to play with the USO and S&B.....

you're gonna be hard pressed to take the S&B from me... the only way I see me getting rid of it if for a Lit Ret. version....

just very superior glass.... period...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts