Swarovski RangeFinder

1eye

I have been using the Swarovski the last week and if appears they could go back to the drawing board on seeing the yardages with the color of their numbers in the viewfinder, had to point it down on something dim just to see the numbers. How hard would it be to make the yardages in black so you could see something. nice rangefinder you just can't see the numbers you range. For a $1000.00 I would think they would look through their own product !

Actually, depending on how you hold the rangefinder and the way you view through it, the range readout will get lighter or darker. And YES - it is an unacceptable idiosyncrasy of this unit.

I sent my first Swaro back because of this. They were good enough to send me a new one. Unfortunately it has the same problem. Others who post on the hunting boards have also experienced this. Swarovski never told me that this is normal nor does the manual indicate that this may be noticed while using the rangefinder.

I still have my original Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000. It calculates MUCH faster and is MUCH easier to read. However, it does not read longrange very well. I frequently bring both when hunting from an elevated box blind. I don't even pick up the Swaro unless they are out there quite a ways.

I agree guys, mine does the same thing. it seems to be very apparent on brighter days, overcast not so much. I find that just looking through the ocular a little differently solves the issue to some extent. I do agree that this should not be an issue on a $1000 piece of equipment but they really do work well at long range. been able to get readings up to and beyond 2000yards. consistent readings in all conditions well to 1600. I really liked my leica1200 I had but it messed up quick (quit reading past 200yards!!!) and i 'upgraded' to the Swaro at my dealer no problems ). they were out of Leicas or I would have simply exchanged for another. except for the readout issue the Swaro has been phenomenal and I accept this issue. I dont regret getting this rf one bit.

I know I have deficient color vision, partly red/green color blind -- as is 10% of the male population. I struggle with this issue on almost ANY rangefinder that uses an LED readout vs the LCD readout of Bushnell or others. The LCD is typically, maybe always, black. That works well for me. I have never heard a tech discussion of how a manufacturer chooses one over the other. Maybe the black is thought to not show up as well on dark backgrounds? I have never really tested this question on my own Bushnell. Any opinions on this?

Len, I have heard this opinion from the Canadian Bushnell waranty department when I sent in my Elite 1500. I was having an issue of it not ranging to it's 'potential' even on good ranging days on highly reflective targets. In a discussion with a Rep, I had asked why they offered only black lcd readouts. his answer was that the LED readouts were more expensive to manufacture and this product was designed to be an inexpensive but comparable option to other manufacturers offerings. He also said that Bushnell was comitted to developing other features such as ARC and so on. He agreed with me that the black LCD readout was more difficult to pick up on dark backgrounds and late dusk conditions and that was one thing that Bushnell was to be working on in the future. I have not checked out the newest versions to see if this has in fact occured yet as I am good with my Swaro. as an aside, my Elite1500 does a good job now that I have it back and use it for bowhunting and as a second rangefinder when I am LR shooting with buddies who do not posses a rangefiinder.

I don,t understand why Swarovski or the others don't look a these fourms and listen to the drawbacks and improve their products, they could do it they have the technology and Iam sure they have heard a lot of complaints, cost who cares if its right ! Build a good one sell more rangefinders everyone wins ! Hope someone on this site could get a hold of a Rep and get some answers ..

I also have a Bushnell. It didn't range far enough for me so I got the Swarovski which is the best out there at this time. I can deal with my color problem ok with it except in very bright conditions with a light color grass as background sometimes.

I have a Leica 1200 i purchased last summer and like it well until reading here about the swaro ranging farther. Now with a new edge build had to be like a little kid and go for more. I just this afternoon purchased a swaro from a member here " loosesniper" which just found out lives around 30 miles from me. Comparing the 2 i can see i will have to get used to it, but was able to right of way range farther. Now i have the top 2, LOl. Not to get away from the thread but now i have a new shooting buddy whom invited me up to shoot anytime. He has a nice bench and able to shoot out to 1500 Yards. While i was there he offered to let me use his gun and shoot a target at 1050 yards, think i turned that down:). I think after all of this regardless if i liked the rangefinder or not i would of still bought it. My experience today would of not came about if it wasen't for this site. Thanks to all.
Mike

The red/orange readout on my Leica LRF 1200 is easily seen in all types of conditions. I love it... The new CRF used the same color, but I have been told it has a faster processor... NJS

A few problems with the Swarovski Rangefinder of mine. It won't work some times and I have to remove the battery to get it to work again.

It is hard on batteries and they are difficult to obtain.
I was in Kmart camera section the last week and they are getting out of the CR2 batteries. I got all they had for $1 each. They will not be stocking these anymore as no one wants them.

I think Swarovski will have to come out with a new model shortly just decause of the battery issue.

A few problems with the Swarovski Rangefinder of mine. It won't work some times and I have to remove the battery to get it to work again.

Top shot, I had this with 3 units. They will replace it if you call and ask them too. My 4th one seems to be fine in this aspect so far.

Another thing is I have seen several that the buttons fail on.

Yesterday I was trying to range a steel target at 1171 yards. Could not do it as the ground is snow covered and there was a bit of haze. So I drove up to the target and ranged back to my driveway to a car setting outside. I put the RF's on a sand bag on the hood of my truck. I have found this is the most solid way to range as you can push and hold the button with out moving the RF. Works much better for me than on a bipod. Swaro would not touch it. Leica CRF 1200 did it.

Just a tip. If you want to confirm a target at near max range for your unit. Hang an old licence plate on a post by the target. Many of the old plates are reflective and will range like a road sign.

Jeff

The reflector idea is one that I have been working on to make Rangefinder readings more reliable for very long targets.

I am making up a "Ranging board". This is a board with bike and trailer reflectors screwed to it to reflect the laser back to the rangefinder and give a strong reflecting signal. I also have some Life jacket reflective tape that I will be trying.

What is to best colour to paint a surface that will best give a signal? A Light colour or a dark colour?

Sounds like you are on top of it topshot. I am not sure about color. I have been keeping my eyes open for an old road sign. ( one I can obtail legally) to place at my bench. Then range from the targets back to it.

Jeff

I would like to see them get the wght. down on the bino/laser, who want 32oz. hanging on your neck, sure they could do it. Ziess should have lightened so it is not a clone of the gevoids. Gets spendy having quality optics and laser, Im waitng for a light combo

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.