Swarovski Laser guide 8x30 durability

eric2381

Hello, I've did some research and found that alot of guys think highly of the Swaro 8x30 Laser guide. I've tried the lesser range finders and found myself disapointed. Wishing I'd of went right to the best to begin with. I had the Leupold RX-III and was unhappy. Sent it in for warranty as it would only range a deer to a max of 400 yds, not as they advertise. I was sent a RX-1000, and I'm selling it before I take it out of the package and hope to raise the funds to by the Swaro.

The guys that have the Swaro range finder, how long have you had them? Have you had any trouble with them? If you did have trouble, how was the service and return time?

I have Swaro binos and they're great. I doubt I'll ever need the lifetime warranty, but it's there. The rangefinder comes with a one year warranty, and this makes me nervous because they also come with a big price tag.

Any help or sharing your experience is appreciated.

Thanks, Eric

Same as gunaddict for me.

I will note that some have had problems with their Swaro 8x30 LRF. 'Broz' most notably. I don't know how many times he's had to send his in for warranty work - I think 3 times - poor guy.

Mine's worked without any hiccups.

FYI: This fall Leica is coming out with a 1600 yd LRF model that may range as far as the Swaro, and this Leica will also provide atmospheric pressure and temperatures. Plus it will provide angles of inclination and declination. I'm looking forward to the field reports on the Leica 1600 and would like to get one of them. provided they will really range out to 1600 yds. The existing Leica models have a good reputation, however their 1200 yd model hasn't ranged as far for me as my Swaro. But the Leica 1600 could give the Swaro a run for the money, as it's a bit less expensive than the Swaro and may range just about as far.

Last edited:
my second swarovski has been returned for service.
i sold the first before sending it back.
alot depends on what you expect and are happy with.
i dont really need a rangefinder for telling me its 500 yds. but i do need one when its a 1000 or more.
mine wouldnt do that often enough to make me happy.
ive seen and used other swaros that will however. when mine comes back ill decide wether ill keep it or not.

I've been selling a few things, raising funds to buy a good rangefinder, and I don't want to buy a *** and have trouble with it. That's why I'm nervous about the Leica, it is new and unproven.

Has anybody sent a Swaro rangefinder in for warranty after the one year warranty date?? Do they cover it? Do they charge you a small charge and repair or replace it, if it's after the one year date? Or do they tell you to buy another one?

This is a big investment for me, and I want something good that lasts a long time. I want to make one big investment on the range finder, then spend money on bullets and barrels.

I have both the current CRF 1200 and the Swaro LaserGuide. I have been using both for quite some time side by side.

What kind of terrain are you mainly going to hunt in? Mountain, Hills, or flat beanfields

Will this be for mostly hunting or target?

What is your maximum distance you feel comfortable taking a shot in good conditions?

I have had some issues with the Swaro's... if fact it took 4 to get one with out issues. But their customer service in second to none!! They next day aired me replacements. I own several Swaro items. I sent my 15 yr old bino's in and they came back with all the updates and looking NEW!! No charge!! No worries on Swaro warranty.

Tell me a bit about what you need for a rangefinder and I will give my opinion on what one will be best for you. They are both good units. The big difference is the beam devergence and this is important. Now if Leica does not enlarge their beam for the new 1600 I will own one of those too. In my mind that will be a smokin unit. But to this date I have not seen the size specs on the beam for the new Leica.

Jeff

Thanks again,

I want to be able to range rocks and steel gongs for practice out to 1000 yds. I want to be able to range deer and elk to 850yds.

I practice shoot on the prairies and river coulees. Brown grass background.

I hunt deer in the flat prairies with sage and grass. Also deer in the river coulees, but with the same brown background.

I hunt elk in the mountains. Meadows, trees and side hills..

I would like to have one here soon, and don't really want to wait 'til August, but I will if the Leica is a serious thing.

Thanks again,

I want to be able to range rocks and steel gongs for practice out to 1000 yds. I want to be able to range deer and elk to 850yds.

I practice shoot on the prairies and river coulees. Brown grass background.

I hunt deer in the flat prairies with sage and grass. Also deer in the river coulees, but with the same brown background.

I hunt elk in the mountains. Meadows, trees and side hills..

I would like to have one here soon, and don't really want to wait 'til August, but I will if the Leica is a serious thing.

Either one will range targets to 1000 yards when on a solid rest. Either one will range deer at 850 even on flat ground. The important thing here is with the larger beam on the Swaro. You need to be careful you dont pick up something in front or behind the animal. When thinking of the beam, think of a flashlight laying on a table. the beam covers a long area and will grab the most reflective object. The beam of the Swaro is a 6 foot circle at 1000 yards. The beam of the Leica is 2 1/2' tall by 7' wide rectangle. With either you need to rest it solid ( I use sand bags) then raise the point of aim till you are sure you are ranging what you are wanting to. Ranging an anilmal on flat ground is a challenge, especially past 800 in mid day sun. In the hills or mountains it becomes much easier. If you are ranging game on a hill side you can see the beam cover less gouund and if you happen to get a near by bush or the ground it is not as big of an issue. Both will do fine in this type terrain but the Swaro will definatly record higher numbers here. I believe that this is due to the larger beam. The larger beam is fine in the hills but not good on the flat. That is why I feel the Leica is more precise. In morning or evening light they both will record their highest readings on anythng. My swaro has recorded rock ledges to 1999 yards. My Leica 1485 yards. Remember the farther you are ranging the larger the beam in both cases it is like a "V" shape. Both are in my bag and with me at all times. I use the Leica more, it is more than twice as fast in giving readings. Plus it has a smaller reticle, again more precise, and the reticle is always there. The swaro reticle is sower, hard to see at times and huge. You will sometimes wonder where it went but when you back your eye off or reposition your eye location it will appear.

So, you decide, I have no doubt either will do you fine. But you can see there are differences. For mountains I would go swaro, for flat ground Leica especially in morning and evening light.

Another point, using one of these is a lot like shootinglong range. You need to rest it solid and practise. Get to know it well and it will preform better for you.

As for the new Leica 1600. like I said, if they keep the reticle and beam small, I feel it will kick butt. If this is true, there will be a load of used Swaro's for sale.

Thats my 2 cents.
Jeff

Last edited:
I'm going to ask more questions about the Leica 1600. 80% of my shooting will be in the flatlands. Deer, coyotes, and target shooting.

I'll ask the fellows at Camera Land a few of these questions.

Thanks again for your great posts.

As a side, has anybody dealt with Leica warranty past the one year???

This is the message I sent them. Hopefully they have some answers to the questions. I'll post back with them when I get the response.

Hello, I have a few questions please,

The new Leica 1600 crf, do you know the beam size on this unit? How much area will the beam cover at 1000 yds? Is it a smaller beam like the Leica 1200 (which I'm hoping for) or is bigger, like the Swarovski laser guide.

The Leica 1200 has a beam that covers 2 1/2 feet tall by 7 feet rectangle at 1000 yds. The Swaro laser guide 8x30 is a 6 foot circle at 1000 yds.

I want to buy a new high quality range finder, and am torn between the Swaro and the new Leica. Most of my ranging is on flat ground, beam size matters to me.

Thanks again, my attention was drawn to camera land because a friend recently bought some binos through you and he had great service.

Eric

I still have not heard back from Camera Land.

I went ahead and bought the Swaro through someone else.

I was able to get a heck of a deal.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.