Swarovski el 10x50 or 12x50

monwilj

Which one would you buy for mountain hunting. Elk , mule deer , and sheep. They both weigh the same and are the same length/body size.. I've used the 10s before and loved them but just figured the 12s might be a better option coming in at the same weight.. But will they be too much zoom to use without using on top of a tripod? Please give your opinions.. Thanks.

I find that even 10X binos have too much image shake, and I've got a pretty stable hold. I can see just as much detail with 8X binos because the image is more stable. The field of view is smaller at 12X, so it takes more effort to scan. I would not use a 12X without a tripod. A good tripod and scanning head makes glassing with 12-15X binos almost effortless. Also, the exit pupil is smaller with 12X, significantly reducing brightness at dusk and dawn.

Last edited:
I have 8X and 12x while both of my sons use 10X.

Personally I find the 8X great to scan but at times feel I want more power. The 12X just seem too much for long glassing periods with their much reduced field of view.

I have used one of my son's 10X's many times and for me it would be the best compromise.

I use 12x bino's i love them my son who 15 years old likes them over 10x bino's. but for me my eye's are not as good as they use to be. We hunt whitetail deer

I think the 10's would be a good choice for deer and elk in the mtns. If you hunt sheep I would think that 15's would best. I would think that the 12's would be the best magnification for the diverse hunting you are doing! It's hard to find one magnification for all types of hunting that's for sure. I also understand that 3 pairs of big money glasses are hard to swallow as well! The Swarovski glass is a great choice in any magnification.

IMHO, selecting binocular magnification boils down to this, if glassing in low light is important to you, get 8X42 binos. If you're younger than 40, you need an even bigger exit pupil, so go with 8x56. If low light glassing is not important, get the highest mag you can hold without image shake, or go 12-15X and use a tripod for long range viewing.

Personally, I prefer 7X binos for hand held glassing on the trail. I use 15X binos on a tripod for long range glassing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts