Swarovski Ballistic Turret Z3 or Z5 for hunting??

jrkotz

I'm looking for a scope with ballistic turret to mount on my 300 WSM. I bought the gun for elk hunting and will be using it this year for plains game in Africa. It's my go to for anything bigger than deer.

I've narrowed it town to two options - Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 or Z5 3.5-18x44

I'm a magnification junkie and shoot a 50x on my 6mm BR. What range would be better for big game out to 5-600 yards?

As another benefit, I think I can use lower mounts with the Z5. I'm just trying to gauge the value of the extra 6X vs. the extra $500

Thanks!

z5 has the same erector tube design as the z6......so it isn't just magnification you are getting.

if you can get it....go for the 4w reticle. bt system works well. they do a custom collet now that works really well.

Ahh.. confirming what I was thinking.

I think the 18X will be most useful when sighting in/bench work.

Also, with the smaller bell, I think I can get away with lower rings.

Any other thoughts?

As pthers have said, the Z5 has substantially better optics than the Z3. The Z5 optical contrast is very high. The contrast at 18X is better than most scopes at 9X. Image distortion is almost non-existent. The scope is very lightweight. It is also a bit short. It should fit well on a short receiver like a 300 WSM, though

The only drawback of the Z5 over the Z3 is the smaller objective size. There will be a small loss of image brightness or magnification at dawn/dusk. Put another way, in low light the Z5 has about the same brightness at 8X that the Z3 has at 9X. That's a small sacrifice for greatly improved optical quality under all lighting conditions.

I'm looking for a scope with ballistic turret to mount on my 300 WSM. I bought the gun for elk hunting and will be using it this year for plains game in Africa. It's my go to for anything bigger than deer.

I've narrowed it town to two options - Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 or Z5 3.5-18x44

I'm a magnification junkie and shoot a 50x on my 6mm BR. What range would be better for big game out to 5-600 yards?

As another benefit, I think I can use lower mounts with the Z5. I'm just trying to gauge the value of the extra 6X vs. the extra $500

Thanks!

Go with the Z3. You may well need the 50mm objective over there for some early morning / late evening shooting. You need 18 magnification like you need a thorn in your foot! Its not magnification you need...it clarity and resolution....and with Swarovski you have it. What guide / white hunter you think is going to let you take a shot ...other than at a baboon...at 500-600 yards?

Spend the difference on ammo partner.

Good luck on the hunt

Go with the Z3. You may well need the 50mm objective over there for some early morning / late evening shooting. You need 18 magnification like you need a thorn in your foot! Its not magnification you need...it clarity and resolution....and with Swarovski you have it. What guide / white hunter you think is going to let you take a shot ...other than at a baboon...at 500-600 yards?

Good luck on the hunt

I've tried both looking across a field at bushes and deer at 700 yards, watching as the sun was setting.

I'd take the Z5 any day

Good luck on the hunt

I agree, I'll be practicing a lot, and don't anticipate using 18X in the field. On the contrary - I WILL use the 18x on the bench, and MIGHT want 14X in the field. I have looked thru the Z3, it's amazing. Much clearer then any other glass I own. I just think for a gun (300 WSM w 180 gr TSX) that has the capability to deliver out to 600+ yards, I should have the glass to do it.

Do you think the Z3 would be noticeably brighter in low light situations? If it doesn't sell soon, it may find a home on my deer rifle.

I agree, I'll be practicing a lot, and don't anticipate using 18X in the field. On the contrary - I WILL use the 18x on the bench, and MIGHT want 14X in the field. I have looked thru the Z3, it's amazing. Much clearer then any other glass I own. I just think for a gun (300 WSM w 180 gr TSX) that has the capability to deliver out to 600+ yards, I should have the glass to do it.

Do you think the Z3 would be noticeably brighter in low light situations? If it doesn't sell soon, it may find a home on my deer rifle.

Definately brighter in low light...but then how many times in LOW light you going to be shooting?...Only you can decide that.
You wont have problems with 14X at 600 yds....unless your prairie dogging it at 600 with that cannon....*S*

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts