Swarovski ATS vs ATX

hugheserj

Hi All,
I'm in the market for a 65mm spotting scope and would like your thoughts between the Swarovski ATS and ATS from people who own or have looked through both.

Differences in weight or modular options are not an issue for me. I will own one 65mm spotting scope and that needs to be sufficient for everything I do (upgrading from a super zoom camera).

What is really important to me is the glass quality and I prefer to buy once......

So, do I buy the ATS which seems like a really good spotting scope, or is it really worthwhile (from a glass/coatings perspective) to spend significantly more on the ATX, when the modular options are not important to me?

My feel is to go with the ATS but don't want to end up with buyers regret.
Thanks
Ed

I own an ATS and have looked through an ATX a few times with my ATS right beside it looking at birds and the view through the ATX is stunningly beautiful. If the money difference isn't an issue I'd take an ATX every time over the ATS. You can resolve a little more with ATX but the real advantage is the way the little advantages add up to a totally different level of performance. Wider field of view , flattener lens , and bigger objective make the glass seem better quality which it may be. Since I've had them side by side I've developed a serious fever to buy an ATX.

I'll relay my experience from chatting with a Swaro vendor at the Sheep Show. I asked if the ATX glass was enough better than the ATS series to justify the additional cost. He said to most people, you wouldn't notice any difference. If you digiscope, you might notice a difference. The big advantage to the X series is the ability to change objectives. If you won't be getting different objectives, just go with the S series. After our discussion I looked through both and can't say I noticed any difference. Just my .02.

Thanks for the replies. If I get the chance I'll look through both but I'm tending towards the ATS as it's already at the upper end of my budget and I think it will keep me happy for the foreseeable future.

I'll relay my experience from chatting with a Swaro vendor at the Sheep Show. I asked if the ATX glass was enough better than the ATS series to justify the additional cost. He said to most people, you wouldn't notice any difference. If you digiscope, you might notice a difference. The big advantage to the X series is the ability to change objectives. If you won't be getting different objectives, just go with the S series. After our discussion I looked through both and can't say I noticed any difference. Just my .02.
Exactly.......

I have a Swaro ATX with the 85 mm. Same eye piece as the 65 mm. Have had the ATX ,ATS, Vortex Razor and Meopta all side by side looking at target at 1000 yards. Everybody that looks thru the ATX wants to trade!!! The others are great scopes but the big eye piece and wide angle of the ATX puts it in a different class. This morning and several other mornings in the last couple weeks I can see 338 bullet holes on paper at 1000 yards. This is in early morning, cloud cover and no mirage. Very good conditions. Not possible at 600 on some days but I am very pleased with the glass clarity. Have not compared it to the Kowa.

Last edited:
I have a Swaro ATX with the 85 mm. Same eye piece as the 65 mm. Have had the ATX ,ATS, Vortex Razor and Meopta all side by side looking at target at 1000 yards. Everybody that looks thru the ATX wants to trade!!! The others are great scopes but the big eye piece and wide angle of the ATX puts it in a different class. This morning and several other mornings in the last couple weeks I can see 338 bullet holes on paper at 1000 yards. This is in early morning, cloud cover and no mirage. Very good conditions. Not possible at 600 on some days but I am very pleased with the glass clarity. Have not compared it to the Kowa.
Phone scope pic at 2000 yards.

Attachments

• 1C385D75-F76B-4472-A3FB-5CD61822C91C.jpeg
    1C385D75-F76B-4472-A3FB-5CD61822C91C.jpeg
    816.6 KB · Views: 688
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.