Swaro Z5 vs Z6. Which reticle?

stonehands1

So what's the difference between the 5 and 6? What's your favorite reticle? I like a simple reticle. Have the Leupold 8.5to25 with varmiter reticle which I like for the long range stuff but I find that it seems distracting to have to much on the screen for the closer stuff.
Thanks

I have both. 5 is a one inch lighter weight. 6 is a 30 mm. Both of mine have simple cross hairs with ballistic turrets. Clarity is top notch. You can't go wrong buying a Swarovski

I think the main difference in the two (other than about $1000) is the Z5 is a 1" tube, and the Z6 is 30mm. Everything I read and was told about the two is that the same quality glass goes into the Swaros, even the Z3. Main diff in the Z3 and Z5 is the erector assembly. It has a leaf spring in the Z3, and the Z5 (and Z6) have 4 coil springs. I switched from a Zeiss 4.5 - 14 to a Swaro Z5 3.5 - 18 with the BRH reticle. Love the Swaro, never looked back (Zeiss has lost a step or two IMHO).
Swaro has the Plex reticle system, and if you want you can get the ballistic turret.

***rharfo was typing his reply at the same time, so I may have duplicated some of his info.

I have the Z5 3.5-18x44 with the 4W reticle and a turret. I like the reticle quite a bit, it has 2MOA marks for windage, the only kicker is that it has to be at 18x for the measurement to be accurate due to 2nd focal plane, not a problem for me since the only time I use them I am at the highest setting anyway.
The only drawback is that I am still trying to find an aftermarket turret that will go beyond one revolution due to the zero-stop design.

The primary difference in the optical design is that the Z6 scopes use HD glass in the objective lens. Z5 scopes use regular glass. They use the same optics in the erector tube and eyepiece. The Z6 has a larger magnification range (6:1 vs 5:1) because the 30 mm tube allows a longer throw in the helix zoom mechanism.

My favorite reticle for hunting is the BRH. I can see it in low light and it allows quick shots at ranges less than about 500 yds. Beyond 500 yds, I dial the range using the Micrometer Style Turrets. This turret upgrade is a good compromise if you want a compact scope with covered turrets.

http://www.highpoweroptics.com/micrometer-style-turret-knobs-swarovski-rifle-scopes-c-798_966.html

bruce_ventura, I have the Z5 with the BRH. Can I change the turrets to ballistic turrets? What type of turret are you referring to with the Micrometer turret?

bruce_ventura, I have the Z5 with the BRH. Can I change the turrets to ballistic turrets? What type of turret are you referring to with the Micrometer turret?

If you click on the link he provided, you'll see them. Basically a mini turret that replaces whats under your existing caps, still have to use the caps if I understand correctly.

HighPowerOptics had a DNS server problem that took the site down for a few hours this morning. It's back up and the link works. Sorry for the inconvenience.

All the informations on Micrometer Style Turrets is there in the link.

HighPowerOptics has a product page up that allows folks to buy a Custom Turret Systems custom turret label through us as well. You design your label on the CTS website and HighPowerOptics fabricates and mails you 4 labels. HighPowerOptics will be expanding their label products. This is just the start.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.