Swapping Scopes Between Rifles?

if a scope is already installed there is no where to place the small level to get a baseline to install the clamp level on the barrel. It works great for a new install though.
If the scope is already installed hopefully you leveled it initially go off the scope and then level the rifle if scope isn't level you are going to have to take it loose to level it so take it off and level the gun put it back on no biggie I could have done I twenty times just during all the information your getting here go to a machine shop buy a 5 dollar piece of stock that slides on the bolt rail look up mounting a scope on gunwerks YouTube sight. David

All good quality Picatinny rails are machined to the same spec. That's the whole point of pic rails in the first place. If the top of the rail is level with the raceways in the action on both guns, and you level the scope to one gun, it will be level on the other gun. A+B=C so C-B=A kind of deal.

Also since you are talking about two Tikkas, I can't imagine there being an issue. Tikkas are renowned for being some of the truest factory actions available and being that they are full length flat top style, it'd be hard to imagine a good quality rail inducing cant. I would double check to be sure but you should be good to go

i have asked this before what charges for a 6.5 wsm w/ 140 grn berger an h1000 pwd an large rifle primer or do i need to go w/ag primer come on guys u must have some info

i have asked this before what charges for a 6.5 wsm w/ 140 grn berger an h1000 pwd an large rifle primer or do i need to go w/ag primer come on guys u must have some info
have you done a search for 6.5 wsm load data

I like the idea of leaving the already leveled scope in its rings, ( lapped I hope ) , and transfer to the other rifle, as a unit , that is Leveled in its cradle or vise. The degree of error should be minimal, at modest shooting range. Sight in at 100 and do a Tall Target Test for piece of mind. Are you shooting Whitetail at 100 to 125 yards, or Sheep at 600 Yards???

I like the idea of leaving the already leveled scope in its rings, ( lapped I hope ) , and transfer to the other rifle, as a unit , that is Leveled in its cradle or vise. The degree of error should be minimal, at modest shooting range. Sight in at 100 and do a Tall Target Test for piece of mind. Are you shooting Whitetail at 100 to 125 yards, or Sheep at 600 Yards???
I do it all the time. When I do it I FIRST use both levels on the rifle I want to move the scope to and get my reference level set up then install the scope and check it. It's pretty simple and takes about 5 minutes in all.

Question:

If you have two pic rails from 2 different manufacturers, are the cross slots the same dimensions or are they different? Are you able to swap scopes between two different brands of rails and not have to change the ring spacing on the scope? The reason I ask is I might want to take the scope off one rifle and place it on another and both rifles have a different brand pic rails. I'm afraid the pic rail dimensions might not match up and I would have to go through loosening the rings and repositioning everything.
IF....always an "if".....the rails are machined to Mil Spec, as reputable manufacturers follow, they will be the same dimensions. Buy China sourced rails MAY be close......use a caliper to confirm in that case.

All done and level

Attachments

• 44DC9B14-70D4-490E-81D5-E99A0502C3C1.jpeg
    44DC9B14-70D4-490E-81D5-E99A0502C3C1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.