Swapping Scopes Between Rifles?

I have the Wheeler scope level kit with 2 levels. Place the first one with the scope removed on your pic rail and adjust in the vice until level then the second one goes on the barrel and adjusted to match the first one so you can then remove the first one and put your scope on. You then place the first one on your turret as you described with the cap off and adjust the scope until it matches the level on the barrel that is now your reference. I've been using this system for many years now and am not afraid to swap scopes around at all. Works awesome!.
Yes, but it depends. Ah, life always has a caveat. It will be level to the top surface of the picatinny rail. Remember to push scope forward....and downward.... securely against rail while tightening cross bolt. Only exception if the picatinny rails between rifles are machined incorrectly.....minimal probability...or the rifle mounting surfaces are not uniformly square/level....possible but minimal. Picatinny rail bedding might cause variation....solid mount, but variation between rifles is possible. The following proven device does the same function. Badger Ordnance, Kansas City, Kansas, makes the Badger Dead Level scope mounting rail consisting of a picatinny rail mounted on an aluminum base with a bubble level and leveling feet P/N BO-0200 for $134.95. Level the device on a solid surface visa the bubble level, then mount your scope to the pictanny rail as though it were your rifle, leveling reticle to picatinny rail via any number of methods......flashlight through ocular lens onto wall with plumb bob level string, or other preferred method. (These methods assume the reticle is plumb to the scope housing mounting base. Always question that assumption until confirmed via tall target tracking test.) Then, transfer scope in the rings to your rifle knowing it is dead level. I do this with all my scopes, followed always by tall target tracking confirmation, if to be used at ELR......assume competency but always confirm. Minimally critical for hunting kill zone and within 500yds. Only easier option is single scope mounted to a change barrel rifle.

View attachment 221925

Wow very cool but dang that is expensive lol.

I a perfect Euclidean world, yes. Parallel lines types of things, etc. I have a scope on a gun that I take on and off to fit different holsters and when I put it back on and check it - always right on. Save up, buy another scope and be sure?

Wow very cool but dang that is expensive lol.
For what we usually spend on this gun/shooting obsession, $140 is not even a rounding error. Buy once; cry once; be happy ever after. One can replicate this device very easily with minimal skills and tools/equipment one typically has already. Buy a long picatinny rail (pre-drilled for mounting) with suitable flat bottom (maybe $5 at a gun show or clearance table), a length of wide aluminum bar stock (or search the scrap pile at a local machine shop or metal seller......check stock for flatness), a bullseye bubble level or two vial levels, two screw adjustable feet and one button foot. Drill, tap and screw the rail to the base. Drill, tap install the screw adjustable feet and screw/epoxy the button foot beneath the level/s similar to the original Dead level. Afix the level/s to the base with screws or epoxy, per your selected level design, being sure it sits securely flat against the aluminum plate. DONE....for less than $25-50. Or, go together with several friends and share one for real Badger Ordnance Dead Level tool. With enough friends, you could be into one for $10-$20/person. Belong to a gun club......get the officers/board to invest in one for club use. Being friendless is a little more expensive. :) :) :)

I have most of my scopes set up to be interchangable on most rifles now by using Leupold QR or PRW rings & on the rifles either Mark 4 rails or similar quality steel rails.
So the only place it could be out is in the rail & if they are quality precision machined rails then any cant would be very minimal.

That bubble level above looks to flimsy in the way it attaches to me.

If I was fitting one it would be something like this-

vortex_low_pro_bubble_level_1_inch.jpg

I have most of my scopes set up to be interchangable on most rifles now by using Leupold QR or PRW rings & on the rifles either Mark 4 rails or similar quality steel rails.
So the only place it could be out is in the rail & if they are quality precision machined rails then any cant would be very minimal.

That bubble level above looks to flimsy in the way it attaches to me.

If I was fitting one it would be something like this-

View attachment 221968

Which bubble level were you referencing above? I ordered this product just to find a way to level the rifle in a gun vise.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W72HTS/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Question:

If you have two pic rails from 2 different manufacturers, are the cross slots the same dimensions or are they different? Are you able to swap scopes between two different brands of rails and not have to change the ring spacing on the scope? The reason I ask is I might want to take the scope off one rifle and place it on another and both rifles have a different brand pic rails. I'm afraid the pic rail dimensions might not match up and I would have to go through loosening the rings and repositioning everything.

Yep I've got this exact same system. Works great when you start without a scope on the rifle. When the rifle has a scope you have no where to place the small level.
[/QU

I thought your original question was swapping a scope between rifles and in the case you would use both levels to set the barrel reference before you put the scope on.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.