Swapping Scopes Between Rifles?

General RE LEE

I have 2 Tikkas both with the same brand picatinny rail. I have Leupold Mark 4 rings. If I leveled the scope on the rifle it is installed and swapped it to the other Tikka, would you be confident the reticle will be level?

One way to find out check it David

currently I use a Wheeler level system with a plumb bob to confirm everything. This requires a level to be placed on the receiver to confirm rifle is level. With a scope installed I don't have a good reference point to place a level. I wonder if I put gun in a vise on a level work bench and place the level on the scope turret with the turret removed will give me a good reference.

You can alway use a piece of machine bar stock slide in on rails your bolt runs on go off of that or same thing lay a piece of stock on your scope base under the scope level off of that a lot of different ways to do it that will work just takes a little thinking and some trial and error you will get it. David

I used to use the wheeler kit, but started just shimming business cards between the rail and the flat spot on the underside of scopes. Tighten down the rings and pull the business card stack out. I use Hawkins rings and the level on top of their rings always lines up with the little level you put on top of the turret when I'm done.

currently I use a Wheeler level system with a plumb bob to confirm everything. This requires a level to be placed on the receiver to confirm rifle is level. With a scope installed I don't have a good reference point to place a level. I wonder if I put gun in a vise on a level work bench and place the level on the scope turret with the turret removed will give me a good reference.
I have the Wheeler scope level kit with 2 levels. Place the first one with the scope removed on your pic rail and adjust in the vice until level then the second one goes on the barrel and adjusted to match the first one so you can then remove the first one and put your scope on. You then place the first one on your turret as you described with the cap off and adjust the scope until it matches the level on the barrel that is now your reference. I've been using this system for many years now and am not afraid to swap scopes around at all. Works awesome!.

I use an EXD Engineerng Vertical Reticle Leveling Instrument for leveling my scopes with a piece of masking tape that is on the garage door about 50 feet away. Once the scope and bore are level I tape the rifle in a Tipton vise and then adjust the vertical reticle of the scope until it is level with the masking tape, then tighten the scope rings. I put the tape up with a level. I have a number of Ruger 77s with the integral scope bases (milled into the receiver), and for me if the scope is exchanged/switched between rifles the scope has to be leveled again each time.

I have 2 Tikkas both with the same brand picatinny rail. I have Leupold Mark 4 rings. If I leveled the scope on the rifle it is installed and swapped it to the other Tikka, would you be confident the reticle will be level?
Yes, but it depends. Ah, life always has a caveat. It will be level to the top surface of the picatinny rail. Remember to push scope forward....and downward.... securely against rail while tightening cross bolt. Only exception if the picatinny rails between rifles are machined incorrectly.....minimal probability...or the rifle mounting surfaces are not uniformly square/level....possible but minimal. Picatinny rail bedding might cause variation....solid mount, but variation between rifles is possible. The following proven device does the same function. Badger Ordnance, Kansas City, Kansas, makes the Badger Dead Level scope mounting rail consisting of a picatinny rail mounted on an aluminum base with a bubble level and leveling feet P/N BO-0200 for $134.95. Level the device on a solid surface visa the bubble level, then mount your scope to the pictanny rail as though it were your rifle, leveling reticle to picatinny rail via any number of methods......flashlight through ocular lens onto wall with plumb bob level string, or other preferred method. (These methods assume the reticle is plumb to the scope housing mounting base. Always question that assumption until confirmed via tall target tracking test.) Then, transfer scope in the rings to your rifle knowing it is dead level. I do this with all my scopes, followed always by tall target tracking confirmation, if to be used at ELR......assume competency but always confirm. Minimally critical for hunting kill zone and within 500yds. Only easier option is single scope mounted to a change barrel rifle.

1603900448938.png

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.