swapping remmy 700 barrel for other factory takeoff

What all would i have to do to take my barrel off and put on a factory takeoff? Also its a. 308 boltface so what other calibers can i change too?

That's a big question. There are a lot of things that must be done even swapping from one rem barrel to another.

The threads are the only thing that fit. everything else has to be corrected. Head space has to be
set with a chamber reamer(The odds of it being correct are one in a thousand) this will change the
location of the barrel ID. The shoulder and tenon length will have to be adjusted in length for
proper fit.

As far as what round will work- Look at the gunsmith section under Bolt face diameters and you
will see what is compatible with your 308.

With all of the work to be done I recomend a new custom barrel. It will be a little more cost
for the machine work but well worth it in the accuracy department. The barrel is the main
expense difference.

Not sounding like a smith, when all the work is done on the factory takeoff if it doesn't shoot
you have wasted all the money and effort. With a custom barrel the odds are nearly 100%
of a good shooter.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I swapped a couple this year and they matched up very close all they needed was the recoil lug on some wet dry to adjust .001 on head spacing on one and the other was dead on with no work. I though it would turn into serious work with the lathe but got talked into it and to my surprise they both shot extremely well!!

I hate take off barrels. I had one land in range. If they can't be cut off and installed fresh then I believe they are a waste of time and money. The interior finish on Remington barrels are a train wreck. Even as bad as they are if they are redone with modern techniques they can shoot pretty well.

I hate take off barrels. I had one land in range. If they can't be cut off and installed fresh then I believe they are a waste of time and money. The interior finish on Remington barrels are a train wreck. Even as bad as they are if they are redone with modern techniques they can shoot pretty well.

+1

I have salvaged some, but others were a wast of time after looking at them with a bore scope
and we just moved on.

Normally a blueprint of the action and a light lap plus re-cuting the chamber are a must.

J E CUSTOM

I have a factory SPS Tactical in 308 with a 20 inch tube, and a friend of mine was selling his 308 5R stainless barrel. We removed mine and screwed his on and checked it some headspace gages and it was perfect, the stamping on the barrel lined up too. Using the 168 gr. Berger Hybrids it would shoot 3 1/2 inch groups at 500 yds. Remington's tollerences are a lot closer than they used to be.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.