Swamp Rifles?

"It is a hard hitting-flat shooting cartridge, with which I have scored a higher percentage of one shot in-the-tracks kills on medium to large soft-skinned game than with any other cartridge" Jack O'Connor discussing the .375 H&H.

I've never believed in "brush busting" cartridges. In some ways the 'swamp rifle" needs to be more not less accurate to miss intervening brush. I always come back to bolt actions with good scopes for hunting swamps and such. I'm a little more confident of recovery with more bullet, especially as angles get steep, and full view of the vitals is not always possible. Additionally my .375 is the best offhand rifle I've owned. A bit heavy these days as upper body strength has faded some. No disrespect intended, and no implication other choices are not adequate, just keeping the conversation going.

No disrespect takin. Like I said earlier, to each his or her own. You did bring up a very good point! RECOVERY! That's the name of the game. Whatever the caliber of whatever the brand anyone chooses, as long as we(as hunters) can have respect for the animal, the sport an each other then that's what it's all about! That's why we live in the Greatist Country in the world! America!!!!!

His writings explained that all bullets are deflected by brush and a smaller caliber actually fits through a smaller hole in the brush....
Fast, lighter bullet will deflect easier than slow, heavy bullet. This is a reason why .338 and larger are popular moose calibers in Finland where a lot of the hunting is in thick brush. If brushes are a concern, something like 9.3x62 will most likely work much better than .270.

I take one of my 44s. Open sight ruger SBH or custom smith 629 with ultra dot. Custom bullets dropped from NOE hp mould. They will knock anything off its feet and I make my boolits to boot. Great on hogs deer etc. If a bear was a possibility, I would load up some keith boolits from my Lyman mould. Either one I can hit 8" plate at 100 yds off hand. I prefer the sbh on my hip while scouting. When actual hunting, I take the smith.

Here's one for you. 280 Remington, model 760 pump. Just acquired one. Gonna put a qwikpoint on it for short range. Probley shoot 150grn bullets. Just putting in my two cents.

DT

I ran a Rossi LSI Puma lever gun in 454 Casull with a 20" barrel when I hunted Virginia and North Carolina swamps.

I prefer open sights, as my glass would always get muddy, fogged or wet.

Easy shooting out to 120 yards!

I can't imagine a better woods/swamp rifle than a 358 Winchester. Browning offers this caliber in their BLR line and I found a new Ruger M77 Stainless Steel Hawkeye at CDNN Sports late last year. I have grown to really like this is a hard hitting caliber. Plus, it is really easy to reload. It is also serves as my backup elk rifle for shots under 300 yards.

.243 ftw.
Why is it better than a heavier, slower round at short distances in swamp/timber situations? I have a smaller, faster, 25-06 but, in the close confines of a swamp or in timber, I'd pick the 358 Win every time.

Ruger 99/44

My old style semi-auto got more use, but my lever version may see more use this year as they've extended our lion season to the point calling becomes feasible again. Keep looking at the z-point type sights to replace the 1-4 it usually wears. What sights are you using?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.