SW VA early Bear hunt

Blackkettle

Tree stand hunting in a pine hollow. Getting dark set my rifle against the tree lowered my pack put on my jacket. Heard what I thought was a grey squirrel. Looked under me, nothing,looked over my right shoulder and behind me in the laurel was a big freakin bear standing up looking at me. I grabbed my rifle stood up ( thats when he dropped down to run) and shot.
waited......got down found no blood and no sign of him.after I shot I stood there and heard nothing not a sound,no running crashing sticks breaking ...nothing. Looked for a while, not happy about being in the thick laurel in the dark with that bear not knowing if he was wounded or dead.
It was well into darkness so i left and came back the next day after light......nothing.
it had rained during the night. Im pretty sure I poked him with my 35 rem. It has haunted me how he got under me without a sound....I mean its quiet in the hollow.
It haunts me even more that I couldn't find him. Yeah I know ....welcome to bear hunting.

Last edited:
20200928_150210.jpg

I hope to get to retire in SW Va someday. I live in NC now, where some of the biggest black bears in the country roam, but hunting here in Eastern NC is for rich folks. Not poor cops. That is a great photo where you were hunting. Is it private or is Va like NC with big , expensive hunting clubs ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.