Survival gear

I think all the kit's been pretty covered in one way or another here... So I'll address a couple of my favorite pieces of kit; with the understanding that much of the other kit mentioned is a no brainier, if you plan to survive more than, 5 minutes, 5hrs, 5dys or 5 weeks depending where your heads at.
One piece of kit is'.., the Sure Fire Saint HS1-A-Blk variable output headlamp... this is a must if your going to need "light" in almost any situation… spot on bullet proof kit.
The second my Rothco G.I. issue military tritium lensatic compass, which I liberated in 1973; with a good map it will be working long after my Garmin Rino 520HCx is dead.
Third would be a blade, or two; the first my Bud Nealy five inch Pesh-Kabz for light and tight wear, this is a knife fighters blade; the second one Woodsman Pal 1941 as the LC-14-B, original a combat engineers tool during WWII after that it's pretty much a Spec'Op gangs must have tool for deployment world wide.
Fourth and last MTM xtreme Special Op's wrest watch… you've got to be able to mark time and distance reliable.
Everything else has pretty much been cover as I said; these are a must for me.
Cheers

My kit is still getting upgraded and modified since my earlier post. After weighing them both I took out the MPI hooded space blanket and put the Kifaru paratarp in full-time. It offers better shelter and not much more weight. I used to pack GI poncho, drum liners, and the MPI hooded blanket/tarp, but as I found out I can pack better options for shelter and rain gear for the same weight, rather than pack things to rig them up with. I also got a back-up whistle/compass/magnifying glass for christmas I put in my kit along with my full-size compass. It looks kinda cheesy but it is a Silva brand and everything seems to work well on it and it only weighs .7oz. I also got an Esbit TI stove to replace my old one that only weighs .4oz. I've been packing a SOG revolver hunter knife as my hunting knife that weighs 7oz with it's sheath and has a saw & standard blade. It's lighter than any of my other fixed blade knives and hasn't broken from any of my abuse yet. I'm thinking I should take out my Victorionox Trekker knife since I only need 1 saw and this is the better option. I'm going to add a Havalon Baracutta with boning and skinning blades so I'll still have 2 knives and 1 saw for about 10oz. I'm getting the kit down to about 3lbs including pretty good shelter and medical so I think I'm getting there.

I'm not familiar with a lot of the Brand names. What is a very good water filtration and purification system. ( Lots of very slow moving water and stagnant ponds in summer months and they are natures toilets). Something that wont clog the filters up after a couple of quarts of water and large enough for two people on the move in hot weather

Katadyn filters are very popular. I have the hiker model, but you might be better off with a hiker pro or similar model in that type of water. A pre filter, coffee filter, or even a bandana over the filters input hose will extend its life. If the water is that bad I might filter it and still use a chemical tablet also. I know people who have had giardia and they never want it again.

McSeal how do those store from year to year if they have been used? I also have a backgound concern of lower levels of Arsenic. I have used their less expensive fiberglass filter models and found them to be a concern in my own mind!

I'm not familiar with a lot of the Brand names. What is a very good water filtration and purification system. ( Lots of very slow moving water and stagnant ponds in summer months and they are natures toilets). Something that wont clog the filters up after a couple of quarts of water and large enough for two people on the move in hot weather

Also check out Mountain Safety Research (MSR): MSR® Water Treatment and Hydration - Comprehensive Solutions to treat, store and deliver water anywhere

and

Platypus® Gravity Water Filtration and Storage

Make sure you understand the differences between purification systems and filtration systems if feel the need for a purification system.

McSeal how do those store from year to year if they have been used? I also have a backgound concern of lower levels of Arsenic. I have used their less expensive fiberglass filter models and found them to be a concern in my own mind!

Clean and dry the parts well before storage as per manufactuer's directions. That's all. Should be gtg next time you go out.

I checked some of them out and the MSR mini looks like a good choice for me. it is field serviceable for clogged filters and carbon for removing the pond scum taste and with silver water treatment should be good to go - Any good or bad thoughts on this

Might want to add a pack of 'Quick CLOT' to stop the bleeding-bullet hole or bone or tree limb sticking out of you. Been carrying mine -I think about 8 or 9 years. They have made it into spounges now I think. Mine is like a large Kool - Aid pack. You may need to use it in a car wreck going hunting, or to the store.

Added: Think BOBBY LEE SWAGGER, in the film 'SHOOTER", ripped a pack like mine from the trunk of the FBI car and put it in the wound.
It has saved a bunch of lives in the sand boxs for sure!

Yhis is the exact WRONG WAY to use the granulated quick clot. Please dont put out bad info from hollywood on how to use this stuff. The quick clot sport is a sponge/ tea bag style but is used for big bleeding and not to be used on the surface of the skin. Old style granulated quick clot will give third degree/ second degree burns is put on the surface of the skin where moisture is present. Also it literally takes two people to effectively apply quick clot granulated to a bleeding wound of a victum.

After many military classes on survival and combat first aid i would tell you mike to take a class on each and the knowledge will far exceed more gear.

I pack a modified blow out kit thats waterproof and holds all my extras. Look them up and they will just attach to the molle on the outside of your pack. Best advice i can give you.

Knowledge is power.

Might want to add a pack of 'Quick CLOT' to stop the bleeding-bullet hole or bone or tree limb sticking out of you. Been carrying mine -I think about 8 or 9 years. They have made it into spounges now I think. Mine is like a large Kool - Aid pack. You may need to use it in a car wreck going hunting, or to the store.
Added: Think BOBBY LEE SWAGGER, in the film 'SHOOTER", ripped a pack like mine from the trunk of the FBI car and put it in the wound.
It has saved a bunch of lives in the sand boxs for sure!

Yhis is the exact WRONG WAY to use the granulated quick clot. Please dont put out bad info from hollywood on how to use this stuff. The quick clot sport is a sponge/ tea bag style but is used for big bleeding and not to be used on the surface of the skin. Old style granulated quick clot will give third degree/ second degree burns is put on the surface of the skin where moisture is present. Also it literally takes two people to effectively apply quick clot granulated to a bleeding wound of a victum.
After many military classes on survival and combat first aid i would tell you mike to take a class on each and the knowledge will far exceed more gear.

I pack a modified blow out kit thats waterproof and holds all my extras. Look them up and they will just attach to the molle on the outside of your pack. Best advice i can give you.

Knowledge is power.

midnightmalloy,
First, thank you for your service!

Second, I purchased a 2 pack back in the day ($7?.??-FedEx overnight-for ELK hunts )from the guy that made it. He told me how to use it and I never read the instructions, just stored it in my little pea brain.. However, I just looked on back to see if~n oldtimers was messing me up, and it is just like I remembered & just like BOBBY LEE SWAGGER, in the film 'SHOOTER", ripped a pack like mine from the trunk of the FBI car and put it in the wound. He did just like my plan was.....now, thanks for telling me it would be better for 2 people to apply. Yikes!!! Kinda haft to invoke rule # 3 and suck it up, cause I am solo ¾ of the time and at 10,000ft 3 miles back in the wilderness.

On the back of my package:
Directions-
"4. Use wiping motion to remove gauze and excess blood – immediately start a slow pour of QuikClot directly on to wound." …......

Also, I had determined when the Mfg. told me how to use it I added to my plan 'stuff a gauze on top and hold' and press the 911 button on my SPOT and pray they get to me or my son -or any other hunter being treated - in time!

I agree with all the other information you shared with me....Thanks

Did call back a couple years ago to see if it had a shelf life and he said, Orig stuff-forever or till seal is broken. Being poor people and all, starting to shut down, we take care to not puncher the KOOLAID PACK.:D

PS: Just remembered mfg. told me that the surgeon would cut it out (QuikClot) when they sewed it up!!!! Thats where the "third degree/ second degree burns" come in. That aint much of a price to pay to not bleed to death on the Mt.! :)

Good luck.

I am not a doctor or even an EMT for that matter only trained on Tactical Combat Casualty Care, so take this as you may. We are trained that Quikclot is supposed to be used where a tourniquet can't be placed. You should carry both (along with gauge and a pressure bandage) and get some training on using them. We had the powder QC turned in and are now given the gauze. The powder could have an exothermic reaction and cause more injury. It could also get in your eyes, nose and mouth...have to pay attention to the wind.
I say again, not a doc or EMT. Just something you should look into.
A note here on tourniquets.

If you are not within an hour of medical professionals one should always keep in mind that using a tourniquet will have a high likelihood of costing you or the person you use it on the limb it is attached to.

If you do not know for sure you are within an hour of higher level care personnel it's much better to just make a pressure bandage of some sort than to take such a risk unless you are trying to stop the bleeding of a traumatic amputation.

You are sure right about using the powder though, if you get it in your eyes it can do serious damage.

For penetrating wounds a woman's tampon can work wonders, and for pressure bandages a Kotex can literally be a life saver. Having a couple of each in your field emergency/first aid kit is a pretty good idea if you don't have access to prepackaged pressure bandages.

Malloy, Bravo, Rose and all you others.....WE THANK YOU for being on that wall!!!

A note here on tourniquets.
If you are not within an hour of medical professionals one should always keep in mind that using a tourniquet will have a high likelihood of costing you or the person you use it on the limb it is attached to.

If you do not know for sure you are within an hour of higher level care personnel it's much better to just make a pressure bandage of some sort than to take such a risk unless you are trying to stop the bleeding of a traumatic amputation.

You are sure right about using the powder though, if you get it in your eyes it can do serious damage.

For penetrating wounds a woman's tampon can work wonders, and for pressure bandages a Kotex can literally be a life saver. Having a couple of each in your field emergency/first aid kit is a pretty good idea if you don't have access to prepackaged pressure bandages.

"TAMPONS" Here is something cool I saw last week. Thanks for mentioning it again, oletimers kicked in again and I had not added 4 to my 'SOS-pack', till now.....done, in cigar tubes to protect.

Yes, That?s a Tampon in My Mouth: The Swiss Army Survival Tampon — 10 Survival Uses | The Art of Manliness

Great thread!!!! Punnnnn intended!!!!

Also, I use them in scent lure presentation. Open out and stick in a pantyhose sox -add BUCK LURE-or ELK and hang on limb. Then put it in the smallest container baby food, spice or whatever to keep it off your stuff till next hunt. :cool:It will wick sex smells to that old horney boy real good....and econo also.

Malloy, Bravo, Rose and all you others.....WE THANK YOU for being on that wall!!!

"TAMPONS" Here is something cool I saw last week. Thanks for mentioning it again, oletimers kicked in again and I had not added 4 to my 'SOS-pack', till now.....done, in cigar tubes to protect.

Yes, That?s a Tampon in My Mouth: The Swiss Army Survival Tampon — 10 Survival Uses | The Art of Manliness

Great thread!!!! Punnnnn intended!!!!

Also, I use them in scent lure presentation. Open out and stick in a pantyhose sox -add BUCK LURE-or ELK and hang on limb. Then put it in the smallest container baby food, spice or whatever to keep it off your stuff till next hunt. :cool:It will wick sex smells to that old horney boy real good....and econo also.

I have personally applied quick clot granulated 5 times and the tea bag type once. The way quick clot works is by evaporating the moisture out of the blood so that it will clot very fast. the trade off of this is massive heat generation. If you apply quick clot granulated and dont directly follow up with a huge amount of direct pressure with a handful of gauze you will burn your hands applying the pressure so the quick clot can work. its not a magic potion. you must
1. open the wound so you can fit a hand in it
2. apply the entire package or 2 to the area after direct pressure and the use of gauze has been used to sop up most of the blood. (this isnt a sprinkling but a fast pour)
3. have a buddy if available have the gauze in hand (again tons of gauze at least an entire handful) and shove it in the wound and press with all your might. (this isn't an exaggeration)
4. follow up with a direct pressure dressing and packing the wound with gauze in a way to directly put pressure on the point of bleeding.

NOTE: QUICK CLOT IS NEVER TO BE USED ON ANY WOUND OF THE THORAX (CHEST CAVITY LIKE IN "SHOOTER") AT ALL!!! ONLY LIMBS AND NEVER THE HEAD/NECK

To be brutally honest with everyone here I dont think in my first hand use and knowledge of using the granulated quick clot, that its of little use in any ones med pack for hunting. it is virtually impossible to effectively apply by yourself and the tea bags are much better. as said above a pressure dressing and proper use of gauze and ace bandage is extremely effective.

On the subject of a tourniquet there use is very effective and should be applied at the highest point you can on the limb (only used on limbs but I think thats pretty obvious). One hour is not a correct figure in today's medicine in the U.S. and even in theater they say 12 or more hours. you can also use a tourniquet to stop bleeding while you apply a pressure dressing.

the order of how to use these three approaches should go in this order:
1. pressure dressing (this includes my favorite which is just lots of gauze and ace bandages)
2. tourniquet placed as close to the thorax as possible. this is in the armpit above the bicept and the groin just below the butt cheek. there is little chance of loosing a limb in a reasonable amount of time by using a tourniquet
3. any form of quick clot.

I have a awesome booklet that is very informative on these and many other things but I have to make sure I can discriminate this before I post anything. I know you guys understand.

Any question I can answer I will be more than happy to help.

I have personally applied quick clot granulated 5 times and the tea bag type once. The way quick clot works is by evaporating the moisture out of the blood so that it will clot very fast. the trade off of this is massive heat generation. If you apply quick clot granulated and dont directly follow up with a huge amount of direct pressure with a handful of gauze you will burn your hands applying the pressure so the quick clot can work. its not a magic potion. you must
1. open the wound so you can fit a hand in it
2. apply the entire package or 2 to the area after direct pressure and the use of gauze has been used to sop up most of the blood. (this isnt a sprinkling but a fast pour)
3. have a buddy if available have the gauze in hand (again tons of gauze at least an entire handful) and shove it in the wound and press with all your might. (this isn't an exaggeration)
4. follow up with a direct pressure dressing and packing the wound with gauze in a way to directly put pressure on the point of bleeding.

NOTE: QUICK CLOT IS NEVER TO BE USED ON ANY WOUND OF THE THORAX (CHEST CAVITY LIKE IN "SHOOTER") AT ALL!!! ONLY LIMBS AND NEVER THE HEAD/NECK

To be brutally honest with everyone here I dont think in my first hand use and knowledge of using the granulated quick clot, that its of little use in any ones med pack for hunting. it is virtually impossible to effectively apply by yourself and the tea bags are much better. as said above a pressure dressing and proper use of gauze and ace bandage is extremely effective.

On the subject of a tourniquet there use is very effective and should be applied at the highest point you can on the limb (only used on limbs but I think thats pretty obvious). One hour is not a correct figure in today's medicine in the U.S. and even in theater they say 12 or more hours. you can also use a tourniquet to stop bleeding while you apply a pressure dressing.

the order of how to use these three approaches should go in this order:
1. pressure dressing (this includes my favorite which is just lots of gauze and ace bandages)
2. tourniquet placed as close to the thorax as possible. this is in the armpit above the bicept and the groin just below the butt cheek. there is little chance of loosing a limb in a reasonable amount of time by using a tourniquet
3. any form of quick clot.

I have a awesome booklet that is very informative on these and many other things but I have to make sure I can discriminate this before I post anything. I know you guys understand.

Any question I can answer I will be more than happy to help.
A couple of corrections here.

You apply a tourniquet only as a last resort, or to control the bleeding while you apply clotting agents and pressure dressings unless you have no other means to save someone's life. You tighten it only to the point at which bleeding stops, no more to avoid cutting off blood flow completely an causing the loss of the limb.

If you leave a tight tourniquet on longer than 1 hour, you are going to lose the limb period unless you have not tightened it sufficiently.

In transport the tournequet should be loosed slightly, just enough to be sure there is a little blood flow for one out of each five minutes to avoid tissue death.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but it is not accurate. You cut off the blood flow and the limb dies.

Also, you place it on a pressure point between the wound and the body(Google "Pressure points blood flow") closest to the wound so as to reduce the amount of tissue that may be compromised.

Dead is dead whether it's a finger, arm, leg, or person, and cutting off blood flow for any significant amount of time gurantees death.

Tourniquets (ArmyStudyGuide.com)

Not trying to jump on you here but you have got to be extremely careful about applying a tourniquet or you can easily end up doing far more harm than good.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.