survey 223 or bigger

Johnboy

survey 223 or bigger thanks guys but one can delet now

hey I just wanted to clear up something with a friend.he asked me what round would I choose for a beginer.I told him that I would get them a 223.he looked at me with a face of disbelief.then I explained to him about the recoil and how the kid or adult can easily get use to shooting a rifel more than a 22rim.also told him that if the kid or adult gets really good with the rifel that one should look out.because of the old sayign beware of the man with one gun.then he comes to me a month latter with a 243.I don't know if his kid is scared or of anything in that nature.he hasn't said and we haven't shot together.but my main concern is did I give good advise,because I learned the hard way I went from bird hunting and 22rim plinking too a 270 win.and I had to start all over when a friend took me too a range and saw that I had a bad flinch.and if I haven't shot in some time I still do.but I know how to fix that at the table or in a stand.I dry fire a few times.so if ya'll have any suggestions I would really like it.but I also know that when one has their mind set one cannot change it.but he came to me and I have the reloading and shooting experience that he or the kid doesn't have.thanks,JOHN

Last edited:
IMHO, 243 isn't enough to cause flinch problems. My only complaint with it as a learning rifle would be higher cost of ammo vs 223.

Actually, the 22 rimfire's plenty enough to cause a flinch if the shooter hasn't been trained properly. A 223 or a 243, absolutely! Good hearing protection and some range time is a good way to start. Ever played "ball & dummy"? It's an excersize that competitive shooters use to reveal flinches and other shooter problems. Give that a try and see what comes out.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.