surgeon action wrench

stcummingsjr

Just got in a nice surgeon action wrench that won't work for my left handed stuff. Does any one know if they make a left handed model. With the weekend here I can't call them until Mon and was hoping to have a replacement coming asap if their stuff is not left hand friendly.

Last edited:
The Remington action wrench sold by Brownells does not know the difference between Remingtons and clones. Nor does it disciminate against south paws.

The rear entry wrenches don't know the difference either. *(Make sure you use a relieved rear entry wrench so as not to crush the anti bind rail.) The aluminum side entry wrenches come in both right and left models. I know they use to be available from Sinclare, and Kelblys.

Rustystud

Last edited:
still a quick question. The non discriminatory wrench from brownells would have been better. The surgeon will it "work?" if I turn it around and incert into the rear bolt race way. Is this adviseable? Or should I trade it in for a better suited style wrench for my project. Thanks Steve

Last edited:
The Brownells wrench clamps on the outside. It has two 3/8" screws that clamp to locks of steel around the action. It is cut out for the lug. You may have to modify the lug cutout for an oversized lug. It also has a hole for a .250 x 28tpi screw to be inserted into the action screw hole. This is by in far the best weench to use on Remingtons and clones. It is designed to be used in conjunction with a Brownells barrel vice. It is a must for removing factory barrels. Factory barrels are put on not to be easily removed. Brownells has a web site that you can look at these wrenches.
Rustystud

Do NOT run a Remington rear entry wrench into a Surgeon action. Surgeon has an anti-bind rail built into the left side of the action (at least the tactical action) designed to prevent brass form lodging in the bolt run. If you run a remington clone wrench into the surgeon action it has no cut out on the wrench and will potentially destroy the anti-bind rail inside the action, thus preventing you from re-installing the bolt. Teh rear-enty surgeon wrench has been relieved to allow for passage of the anti-bind rail without damage.

I use a remington port wrench on my two surgeon rifles (one in .260 the other in 7WSM) . From teh Port, they are the same and the REmington wrench works fine.

JeffVN

I have all three types of wrench. I would never use a rear entry wrench using more than 65 lbs of torque. The anti bind rail is safe in my shop. but thanks for the heads up. I would never use a side or rear entry wrench to remove a factory barrel. I would only use the Brownells acton wrench.
Nat lambeth

I make my own action wrenches and barrel vises and Aluminum collets.
For round receiver actions, I just make another barrel vise and collet.

Just wanted to pass along how accommodating surgeon was about working with my mistake by buying the wrong wrench for my action. They said that their wrench was not designed for LH actions nor would it work, but that I could send it back for a refund even though it was not purchased through them. They also said that they might see about making a LH-ed model. I was very impressed with how they took care of me.....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.