Surgeon Action Bolt Stop

rm76

Guys, I have a Surgeon repeater action coming and understand it will come dissembled. I have no experience with a side-mounted bolt stop and cannot seem to find a picture or instructions of how that piece is installed. Will it be obvious once I get the action as to how it goes together, or like many parts, is there a particular way (or order) that it needs to be assembled? Any comments from those that have experience with the Surgeon? Thanks.

The Surgeon is easy to assemble, so long as you have the right tools.

I have built a couple of rifles on Surgeon S/A and am ongoing a build on a XL at the moment.

You must remember that the action comes in the white and will need coating of some kind before final assembly of componants (parkerising, blueing, duracoat, krylon etc etc etc)

Once its coated, assemble componant parts, but not before.

My guess is you may be having the barrel assembled by gunsmith and completing the rest of the build yourself?

Anyway, the bolt stop will be in a small bag with the relevant componants - spring, stop and roll pin.

My advice if you do it yourself is insert pin from underneath, then if you slip with your punch and hammer the ding wont be seen.

Here is one I made earlier:

DSCN1208.jpg

Thanks for the picture! That explains everything. Looks like it is really straight forward and assembly should not be a problem. Good advice about insertion of the pin from below! Yeah, I am aware that it will need to be coated before assembly. Am undecided as to what type of finish though. Will be going with just a matte black -- you have any suggestions as to what works best in your opinion? With the close tolerances of the Surgeon, what parts should not be coated?

Very nice build!! What trigger is that?

Thanks again for the pic!

I get most of my rifles Duracoated, by a guy who has been trained by Lauer (makers of Duracoat)

The Surgeons were coated prior to barrelling (all componants including bolt stop, bolt shroud, handle, bolt body and action)

The colour in this photo is parkerised with a black bolt shroud and bolt handle.

No issues with tolerances and I am on 1000 rounds with that rifle now, however I did ask him not to coat the action threads.

Apparantly an easy mask with a silicone plug.... anyway, the barrel screwed on very nicely and all other componants fitted just great.

There is minor wear on secondary cam and bolt lugs - but one would expect that anyway.

Bolt body is not showing signs of wear and I dont treat it nicely when practicing for multi shot comps.

Trigger is CG Custom two stage, the blade is meant to be this way round by the way as I prefer the serrations.

I had minor issues fitting the trigger unit to the action due to tolerances but this was resolved with 1000 wet and dry and careful application of a fine file.

Ronin, thanks again. Another great tip, which I hadn't thought about. I had planned on having the barreled action coated after the barrel was fitted -- since I had planned on coating the barrel the same as action. Is there an advance to coating the action before?

Again, rifle in picture looks like a great build. Nice trigger! Care to divulge what it is chambered for?

The action was coated prior to barrelling for the simple reason I had two actions that needed doing and my guy was about to spend 6 weeks on a hunt in NZ, so I got the actions done first as I wanted the completed rifles to be shootable - I didnt want to take a "in the white" action out into wet conditions.

The barrel will be done in the same colour on his return.

Chamber is min SAAMI spec 308, throated for 155 grainers - seems to shoot pretty well with Scenars - this is an average group

455gVit140.jpg

Side view of completed rifle - the barrel does need to be same colour as action - too shiny for me;

DSCN1207.jpg

Great looking stick, and apparently accurate one as well!!! What contour and length of barrel? Also, what does the rifle weigh?

Got to go -- and get ready for Hurriane Gustav!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts