Sure like LRH Forum.

She's not a pointer, Braque d'Auvergne is the breed, though they do point well. They hunt closer in not as far out as pointers/setters do. She is still lots of pup. I haven't had her up hunting in Idaho. Lots of "bird" in this one. She'll be awesome if I do my part. Hopefully life will allow it.
Characteristics sounds similar to my Vizsla....He will not hunt unless he can see me, turns into a sissy. Won't hunt for any of my buddies either unless I'm right there with them 🙄. I'm guessing Vizslas were bred that way? Not sure....

Attachments

• 481339E4-F938-4AD0-824B-904738227C1F.jpeg
    481339E4-F938-4AD0-824B-904738227C1F.jpeg
    994.2 KB · Views: 154
Vizlas are incredibly tuned into their owner. Every Vizla I have ever seen is watching his owner all the time, waiting for clues about what he/she wants and what is coming next. Extremely tuned-in dogs.

I do have a young male golden that is very skittish. Any tips on breaking a dog into gunfire slowly. He jumps at the sound of the slide racking on my pistol. I don't know if he will ever be a gun dog.
Get a copy of "Training Your Retriever" by James Lamb Free and follow it to the letter. You and your retriever will bond in no time.

I know this thread is a month old, but I'd like to say our NAVHDA chapter has some awesome folks- at least the core group. It's training season so we'll be out there in the field with our 3 dogs. However I can surely say that there are some folks that are complete and utter jack wagons- especially on test days. Most of them are not 'regulars' but bring their pups in for the NA test. They bitch and moan when things don't go their way. I (we) just ignore them and move along.. It comes with the territory me thinks..

Look for a good local group if you want some good kinship.

So I checked out a designated bird hunt/bird dog type forum today. I'm in the beginning stages of learning and was hoping to learn something.
What I learned was, the forum members were kind of rude to each other and seemed a little arrogant. I guess LRH has spoiled me a little bit.
Hows the training going? I am currently looking for a bird dog so hoping to be in training mode soon.

Hey, Richard Wolter's books are easy to read and understand. I'm a Brittany guy, (see my avatar) and years ago my wife decided she had to have a chocolate lab. We bought a few of Wolter's book and I & the wife trained her. She was a British lab from Robert Milner's Wild Rose kennels, before the kennel was sold to Mike Stewart. She turned into a pretty great hunting dog for waterfowl and upland game. I have a few other training books too, but for a new to retrievers guy Wolter's books worked best for us.
Take Care

No, I have a little Golden Retriever. We hunted North Dakota for the first time last year. She's the first dog I've tried to train. She doesn't know a lot of commands and we probably would get laughed off of some expensive hunting lodge for improper etiquette. All that being said we went out on public land last year and killed a few wild birds. My little dog and I are now hooked and I'm still trying to learn what I can when I get time. I'm in the process of moving to Montana soon so this season we will be starting over finding places to hunt

No, I have a little Golden Retriever. We hunted North Dakota for the first time last year. She's the first dog I've tried to train. She doesn't know a lot of commands and we probably would get laughed off of some expensive hunting lodge for improper etiquette. All that being said we went out on public land last year and killed a few wild birds. My little dog and I are now hooked and I'm still trying to learn what I can when I get time. I'm in the process of moving to Montana soon so this season we will be starting over finding places to hunt.
My grandfather raised and trained Champion Chesapeake Bay retrievers for many many years! He was also a Steeplechase Jockey in England prior to emigrating to Canada in 1897. He told me when I was very young....son...you can train a horse or a dog to do anything you want.....even if EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING may be wrong by ACCEPTED PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS....as long as you are 100% consistent...with YOUR COMMANDS! He was right. PXL_20201123_180739838.jpg

Hey Feenix, does that mean you had one of each? I hunted AZ for three years while I was stationed at Ft Huachuca. I had a Lab and a Brittany, great bird hunting in Southern AZ. Buddy had a springer. We shot a lot of birds, even got the quail triple crown numerous times. Surprising number of waterfowl down there too.
Take Care

Hows the training going? I am currently looking for a bird dog so hoping to be in training mode soon.
I've been real busy with life so it's a slow process. He's doing much better with loud noises around the house. Now that I'm done deer hunting it's time to get into bird mode. I need to get him out around 22 rifle and see how he does.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.