Supreme 780 accuracy

setter

I'm trying to find a single powder that can be used in 280 Rem and 7 wsm that will launch 150-160 grain copper bullets. From a reloading manual, it seems that Supreme 780 gets near highest velocity and fills the case, but I don't know about accuracy. Any experience or other recommendations for a single powder for both within that bullet weight range with a leaning toward higher velocity with reasonable hunting accuracy out to 600 yards on deer and elk sized animals?

IMR 4955, Rl23 both of these have a decoppering agent. They are advertised as temp stable options to H4831 for the IMR powder, Rl 22 for the Alliant powder. You may do better for the wsm with IMR 7977 and RL26. I have done a ladder with RL26 with a 140 accubond in my 270 and didn't top out pressure wise at 3170fps. That's faster than any 140 load I have shot in this rifle. I saw some RL26 data on the Berger site and used their starting load to do my ladder.

I would solidly second both R-26 and IMR 7977. I would also add Norma 217. All are temperature stabile so they will be consistently linear, and predictable in performance over a wide range of temperature. You may dig W780 supreme, and it could be a useful powder, but either or both of your rigs may not, and it's not known to be temperature stabile. YMMV
I wish it worked differently, because I have an entire fireproof full of different powders. Only two of my rifles share the same powder variety. f$&@ers didn't get the memo I guess.....
Velocity alone is not a reliable indicator of a potential load. Sure, it looks nice on paper and in ballistic aps, but it is a distant third consideration behind accuracy and predictability.
For long range hunting and shooting a particular load, with the most favorable combination of accuracy, with a SD as low as possible will yield the most predictability. You are pretty well on your way if you can identify a load that prints consistently < 1-1/2" at 200 yards (~ 0.75MOA) AND has a SD of 10 fps, or LESS ideally. That will get you quite a ways out there. Just remember that velocity is fine, but accuracy is final and mass never goes away.
Have fun and be safe.

I thought Supreme 780 was discontinued. I've had great luck with IMR4350, RL22, H4831SC, and Magpro in my 7 SAUM with 160 grain Accubonds. Accuracy has been about the same with all the powders listed, but Magpro gave me the highest velocities. So, I chose Magpro.

We have done very well with the W780. Not sure if it can be your only powder but it is certainly worth trying.

I first tried the W780 when it was the only thing on the shelf. It has since grown on me as a consistent performer in many cartridges.

Steve

Thanks for your responses. The other powder that looked like it might work for both was IMR4350, so I'm glad I see some recommendations for that. I'm leaning toward that right now as it might work for some other chamberings as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts