suppressor options

TheFishBox

I am looking at getting a suppressor again and was wondering what size I should get. I have a 338 lapua and down to a 260 that could be shot suppressed, I am mostly wanting the suppressor for the 260 but thought maybe I should just get one in 338 and then use it for everything. Is this practical or not? The weight and size doesn't appear to be that much of a difference, I as looking at the thunderbeast 9 in for 6.5. Any recommendations?

The TBAC Ultra series in either a Ultra7 or Ultra9 would be my first choice. SAS makes a very fine suppressor too.

I have both, TBAC and SAS suppressors, one of the Ultra's from TBAC would be my first choice.

is it worth it to get one caliber specific?

Caliber specific suppressors are always going to be the quietest, but with some of these newer cans, going to a larger caliber so it's more universal to use on a variety of guns, there isn't that much difference in noise as well as these newer suppressors are lighter too.

I have caliber specific cans but I bought mine before TBAC had their Ultra series or I would have bought a .30 cal Ultra7 and used it on everything from .30 cal down to .20 cal.

You could also get yourself a 338 suppressor and use that on everything .338 and smaller but those are a fair bit bigger/longer/heavier so you'll want to keep that in mind before you make your purchase/s.

If you will be shooting a .338 cal rifle the most, getting a .338 suppressor first will make the most sense and you can always use it on everything .338 and smaller.

I'm waiting for mine to show up, but I ordered an Ultra 7 with the intent on using it on multiple rifles from 300WSM down to .223. It will be primarily on my 6.5/06
While during research most said it doesn't make a huge difference getting caliber specific. And since I'm going to use it on multiple rifles, I wasn't as concerned about the price, so I went for best one out there. Or so I hope it is. Only time will tell.

30 cal cans are far and away the most common first can folks buy from us. Once you start using what ever you purchase you'll want to use it on everything you own, a 30 cal gives more options.

As for multi use cans, give the Silencerco Hybrid a look. rated for the 338 Lapua and everything underneath. The main rating is for the pressure and volume, so anything that'll fit down the bore that has a lower pressure and case volume will be ok in that can.

I have a couple 30 cal cans but have a 338 Ultra on the way. There is a good chance I'll use the ultra on my 260 as well for added chamber volume.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.