Suppressor Info

liltank

Just curious about velocity. I know the new ones don't decrease velocity or effect its accuracy. My question is will it add velocity? The reason I am asking is this, I have a Win 670 with aftermarket 18" barrel. If I were to put a 6" suppressor on the 18" barrel, would I in essence have a functioning 24" barrel to increase its velocity? Or due to the baffeling effect will it only silence the blast and not show any gain in velocity.

Tank

Liltank, now Im no expert but I cant see how it could increase velocity, they displace pressure,gases etc etc.

However their are more people to reply to this with their opions and experiences.

Regards 300WSMMAD

The suppressor will theoretically increase speed but only a tiny bit.
At a guess it might only be 1 -5 fps....
edi

Mine shoots the same velocity on or off, only the impact changes 1/2" left 1/2" low @ 100yrds. with it on. Very easy to compensate for.

POI change must be the VLD bullets because factory loaded ammo there is no change in POI

The suppressor will theoretically increase speed but only a tiny bit.
At a guess it might only be 1 -5 fps....
edi

What is the theroy based on?? courious to know how you can accurately messure a 1-5 fps increase, you can do that by changing primers.

Got a buddy who's purchasing one and his research indicates that they do increase velocity a bit, but no where near what the same increase in barrel length would be, of course.

If you are planning on getting one, I would do it soon. I have been waiting for 2.5months so far for paperwork. I am guessing another month or two wait still.

Brent

I have one on a 6.5-284 and the 4 inch suppressor (out the front) gave me an additional ~20 fps. Hardly noticeable really. I was told this is because there is a small amount of free-bore boost with it on. POI moved, but accuracy was the same.

What is the theroy based on?? courious to know how you can accurately messure a 1-5 fps increase, you can do that by changing primers.

I said at a guess...maybe

Theory, well if we have say somewhere 20to50fps per inch barrel and
depending on baffle design maybe a total of 1/2" of straight over sized bore
where the gas pressure might give a bit of a shove.
That's where my guess came from.

edi

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.