Suppressor impact on velocity and POI tested

You hang a 10" object that weighs from 10-20oz out on the end your barrel and expect it not to change? It will! Today I tested same, and it wasn't much, 1" high and 2.5" L of poi with can on. Minute of deer out to 200y. But I wouldn't go any further than that. Barrel harmonics affect grouping and poi tremendously. Adding the supressor changed harmonics.

Any idiot that maintains that the suppressor has no effect on accuracy or velocity or POI is trying to sell you a suppressor. Mostly. But having shot behind my hunting partners suppressed 338 RUM, I will argue that its worth it. But you have to basically dedicate that gun to being a LR weapon that is too cumbersome for carry work. And even a task to haul to a set position for a LR hunt if the trail is long or steep.

I am considering getting a can for one or more of my guns. But I truly think that a gun needs a load developed with the suppressor in place. People that say otherwise are generally either hyping cans or selling them......

We have a 1/2 dozen suppressors and if you are going to use for hunting or practice with or without just need a few adjustments.. We usually have a load worked up without a suppressor and then put the suppression on. The POI may change with the suppressor on. Then it is just a mater of re-zeroing the scope for POI with the suppressor. If you document the data then you only need to change the scope settings for with or without the suppressor. You also will have a velocity change so it you use a ballistic program you will need to change for with or without suppressor. It is not hard to do. We switch back and forth all the time.

We have a 1/2 dozen suppressors and if you are going to use for hunting or practice with or without just need a few adjustments.. We usually have a load worked up without a suppressor and then put the suppression on. The POI may change with the suppressor on. Then it is just a mater of re-zeroing the scope for POI with the suppressor. If you document the data then you only need to change the scope settings for with or without the suppressor. You also will have a velocity change so it you use a ballistic program you will need to change for with or without suppressor. It is not hard to do. We switch back and forth all the time.
Like buddy, did you read my message? You are selling suppressors just like others. I don't know if you are legit or not, and I'm not saying you are not. But in seemingly every suppressor thread, there are the fan boy sellers that say all is well and you don't need to do anything except rezero your scope.

I call bull bull bull. You cannot hang 8, 10, 12 or whatever oz on the end your barrel and not experience more than just POI.

Of course, there are exceptions. Like shooters that have been so recoil sensitive they are jerking the trigger. And I assume that there are some guns that shot the same or BETTER with the CAN in place.

But just stop telling me the same load has the same accuracy with a suppressor in place..... Might be better. Might be worse. But hanging a weight on the end of the barrel cannot cause nothing to change....

Like buddy, did you read my message? You are selling suppressors just like others. I don't know if you are legit or not, and I'm not saying you are not. But in seemingly every suppressor thread, there are the fan boy sellers that say all is well and you don't need to do anything except rezero your scope.

I call bull bull bull. You cannot hang 8, 10, 12 or whatever oz on the end your barrel and not experience more than just POI.

Of course, there are exceptions. Like shooters that have been so recoil sensitive they are jerking the trigger. And I assume that there are some guns that shot the same or BETTER with the CAN in place.

But just stop telling me the same load has the same accuracy with a suppressor in place..... Might be better. Might be worse. But hanging a weight on the end of the barrel cannot cause nothing to change....
CDLHERMAN
I know other shooter have the same concern and thoughts about suppressors, but there is a little bit of math and changing with scope elevation & windage when changing from a suppressor or non suppressed. I am not selling suppressors. Do you own one and have tested it like I explained???
You didn't read my post or didn't understand it. A suppressor changes the POI- some firearms by a little and some by a lot. There is also a change in Velocity so that changes the POI at distance. I you work up a load and shoot the firearm and have a ZERO POI at 100 yards and hit the X. Then put a suppressor on you may have a different POI at the same 100 Yards and different velocity. You can then document the change of the POI and velocity so when you switch back from suppressed to non suppressed you can obtain the same POI. Yes you have to change the POI on the scope and also change the ballistics for the velocity. I can shoot my .260 at 100 yards or 1,000 yards with or without my suppressor and get the POI that I want by changing the scope's POI and the ballistics for velocity from my Kestrel Ballistic program. Like I posted. It is not rocket science, just MATH. If you want PM me and we can have a phone conversation and I'll explain how the difference of a suppressed firearm and non suppressed. I think after that you will agree and probably want to start using suppressors.
Thanks
Len & Jill

I have only been shooting my suppressors for just under 2 years. Most of my rifles were built before that and load development performed with a brake.
Once I got my cans, all my rifles (except my 28 Nosler, 7RM and .300RUM) now run suppressed.

You know how many loads I needed to tweak? One. By -.4gr. Honestly, was probably way more to do with barrel break in than suppressor addition.

POI definitely changed on all rifles and needed to be rezeroed. Velocity gains were between 15-27fps. But group size/accuracy all stayed the same on all but the one.
.223, 6CM, 25SST, 6.5SLR, 6.5SS, .280AI all made the switch. I have since built a couple more 6.5SSs (x2) that load development was done with the suppressor, since they will ALWAYS be shot suppressed. I have a new 6.5SS starting load development today, a 7SS in the works that will be run suppressed only, and a .260AI build waiting on a reamer that will run suppressed only too.

Honestly, once I went suppressed, I see absolutely no reason why I would EVER shoot the rifles without the suppressor attached again. I don't understand why someone would switch back and forth unless it is a rifle that gets loaned out to others when you are not present. So zero them and don't worry about POI shift. Just run the can, always.

I have only been shooting my suppressors for just under 2 years. Most of my rifles were built before that and load development performed with a brake.
Once I got my cans, all my rifles (except my 28 Nosler, 7RM and .300RUM) now run suppressed.

You know how many loads I needed to tweak? One. By -.4gr. Honestly, was probably way more to do with barrel break in than suppressor addition.

POI definitely changed on all rifles and needed to be rezeroed. Velocity gains were between 15-27fps. But group size/accuracy all stayed the same on all but the one.
.223, 6CM, 25SST, 6.5SLR, 6.5SS, .280AI all made the switch. I have since built a couple more 6.5SSs (x2) that load development was done with the suppressor, since they will ALWAYS be shot suppressed. I have a new 6.5SS starting load development today, a 7SS in the works that will be run suppressed only, and a .260AI build waiting on a reamer that will run suppressed only too.

Honestly, once I went suppressed, I see absolutely no reason why I would EVER shoot the rifles without the suppressor attached again. I don't understand why someone would switch back and forth unless it is a rifle that gets loaned out to others when you are not present. So zero them and don't worry about POI shift. Just run the can, always.
I've kinda gone the same direction with running supressed, it's just more fun honestly. Cleaning the cans just sucks! takes very good form and presence behind the rifle to spot impacts with a supressor and higher recoil cartridges in lighter weight guns, that's for sure.

I have seen very little on accuracy differences in shooting suppressed vs a thread protector. I tried to work separate loads up to see if it mattered and I couldn't find a new node that needed a powder change.
Maybe shooting BR where .001" matters you could improve but I didn't see it on regular rifles. Most of my threaded barrels sit in Defiance actions and are quite accurate. I do have one TC Compass I won in a raffle. It shoots slightly better with the suppressor on it but it's only a 1 moa rifle

In every test I've run there has only been a POI change. Grouping has not been markedly affected. The guns involved were largely Sako/Steyr/AI and full customs so YMMV.

Any idiot that maintains that the suppressor has no effect on accuracy or velocity or POI is trying to sell you a suppressor. Mostly. But having shot behind my hunting partners suppressed 338 RUM, I will argue that its worth it. But you have to basically dedicate that gun to being a LR weapon that is too cumbersome for carry work. And even a task to haul to a set position for a LR hunt if the trail is long or steep.

I am considering getting a can for one or more of my guns. But I truly think that a gun needs a load developed with the suppressor in place. People that say otherwise are generally either hyping cans or selling them......
Well actually in the video that I made you can see that there is absolutely no change in velocity... Velocity is measured in m/s...

I have a 7" thunderbeast TI at 7oz with the CB brake. I sighted in the two guns with the brake installed prior to getting the can. Once I got can, off to the range. My bergara HMR 6.5cm with a pretty heavy barrel had no POI change @100 and I had 11 fps velocity increase, it was warmer than original sight in. Group with factory fed 135gr bergers was .7 moa w/brake, with can .6moa.
Gun two Ruger predator light sporter barrel w/brake shooting factory hornday gmx rounds 80grs was shooting .9 moa after can screwed on .5moa POI change 1" inch low velocity increase 9fps.
YMMV

I have a silencer central banish for a year. Both my 6cm and 7blaser sped up 30 and 50 fps respectively. 6cm was 24" proof cf with 3 port mbm brake. 7blaser is 24" proof cf with 4 port mbm brake. I believe the 7 impacted 1" higher at 100 with suppressor and cm was 3 or 4" lower. Both grouped unchanged to at least 800 yds. Will be doing more tests in a couple weeks on both. If I build another hunting gun it will probably be 18-20"

So you don't have a suppressor?