Suppressor impact on velocity and POI tested

Well my $1.50 is that unless we're shooting 20+ round strings, then the confidence intervals of your SDs suppressed and unsuppressed are going to overlap, so the arguments stating velocity does or does not change are usually starting with fishy numbers. I saw an increase in velocity with a suppressor, but I was shooting 5-round groups, so there is very little statistical validity to me making a statement that suppressed = faster, even though that's the exact result I saw.

Secondly a suppressor will undoubtedly change barrel harmonics, but the Houston Warehouse tests pretty much proved out that some fairly significant charge weight variances did NOT matter to group size, so there's an information gap in the barrel harmonic-OCW-group size continuum that I can't explain. I'm not going to try, because whether it's harmonic nodes or velocity nodes or something else, if the group size is acceptable then I'm going to roll with that load regardless of what minutiae are causing it to be that way.

All that to say - I have a lot of suppressors and I rarely shoot without them because whatever changes they may or may not cause in group size, FPS, or my IQ, I much rather prefer them being on to being more deaf.

I do load development with them on though, so whatever impact they have is controlled for in my loading process.

I have been running suppressors for a few years myself and I see an average of approx. 1" low (repeatable) at 100 yards by adding a suppressor and approx. 15-35 FPS gain added with a suppressor depending on rifle/cartridge. I haven't needed to change a load yet and all shoot just as accurate, if not more so suppressed. I do have to rezero and use a different MV in my drop Charts. I have titanium cans that are all pretty light weight. The more extreme variables will have more extreme variations… I.E. suppressor weight, length, barrel length, and contour.

Once my Thunderbeast 338 Ultra arrives I can guarantee that I'll have more of an impact shift from that big boy V.S. My 7"x1.5" Titanium can or my TBAC Dominus on my 25" 2B fluted barrel.

To the O.P., it appears you are shooting a Reflex suppressor and I'm sure you'd have different results with velocity V.S. a 9" .308 cal. or smaller caliber can using the full volume like a TBAC Ultra 9 that will suppress more and build more internal pressure. But then again I'm not familiar with that brand of can you're shooting but a Reflex nonetheless.

Last edited: