Suppressor choice: most bang for your buck :)

338 Lapua Mag
Hornady 250gr HPBT Match
26" barrel
TBAC 338 Ultra
10 shots each

Unsuppressed - 2874fps, SD 32.7
Suppressed - 2895fps, SD 12

Two shots in the unsuppressed group were almost outliers (>2SD below average). Removing those, the 8 shot group is :
2888fps, 16.7SD

Meaning the suppressor makes less a difference on velocity than QC on Hornady's ammo.

Last edited:
Wow, great info. I would not have guessed otherwise. I was looking at one of those smaller cans, think it was 10 or 12 ozs to help try and keep things balanced and not nose heavy. I wonder if the potential increases are why I noticed some states do not allow them to be used for hunting. Anyway, thanks

Thanks. Will def check them out. How's the recoil reduction?
On my 5.56 AR-15, nothing tangible but, it works great a night for killing flash. The same can said of my 6.8SPC AR-15 hog thumper though with a 4lb thermal on it I'm not sure it is a fair comparison. On a 300 BlackOut, it is negligible if there is any at all.

Now, on a big magnum (300WM, 338LM, etc.) they do help a good deal as the "jet" coming out of the muzzle is stopped though, physics are still there for charge and projectile weights and their acceleration down the barrel.

On shorter barrels (non-SBR 308W for example), I find the blast reduction across my face to be one of the biggest benefits personally. With my AR-10, the weight of my SiCo Omega along with blast reduction makes it much nicer to shoot strings of fire and reduce my split times between shots and will often let me watch the target through the scope during the recoil impulse.

On a 22" 308W bolt action, I would think most people would notice less felt recoil due mainly to reduced muzzle blast and additional weight but, the can capturing the muzzle blast will also cut some of the recoil too.

Don't expect "miracles" and realize a rifle 'silencer' really isn't silent and recoil is largely a personal matter beyond the physics of actual recoil. Assuming the extra length isn't a problem, they really do make shooting more pleasant and enjoyable if for no other reason than cutting the muzzle blast across your face with nastier loads you shoot unless you talking about large case capacity magnums!

I've got 2 older Thunderbeast 30P-1's and a Varminter 3.0 which is now the Banish 30 made by Mack Brothers. While the Thunderbeast are great suppressor's, I like the Mack Brothers suppressor better.
Silencer Central in South Dakota is a great company to deal with, that's who I bought my Varminter 3.0 from, they even subtracted my FFL's transfer fee from the price of the suppressor when I bought mine.

If you have the ability and access to a good end mill & drill press, you can build your own and do a Form 1. I built my last 3 suppressor's for less than 1/2 of what a quality brand name would cost, including paying for the tax stamps. Plus, I got my stamps approved in just a couple month's.

One of the best options on the market for overall versatility is the Liberty Cosmic X or Liberty Mystic X.
This is the route I went, I actually just paid for it. After years of deliberating and putting it off. I went with the Mystic X, it's a 9mm can that will cover pretty much every rifle I have. It's rated for up to 300WM, all my rifles at the moment are .30cal or less so it seemed like a good bet.

The thing that sold me on the Mystic X is that you can disassemble it. So I can run 22LR without worrying about lead building up in the baffles. They also offer a H.A.T.E. ring which will adapt the can to a SiCo MAAD mount. So you can use the AAC 51T mount with that setup. They make nice QD brakes, 3 lug for 9mm, etc.

Also they've been awesome to deal with so far. They answered a lot of my questions and helped me every way they possibly could. The Mystic runs about $700, middle of the road. I went into this with the mindset of; if I can only ever get one suppressor, which would be the most versatile and easy to maintain. So now I'm waiting on my stamp, can't wait to have it in hand.

Was looking at Lane. Due to budget, might lean towards the stainless steal version. Any thoughts on Stainless vs Titanium? Accuracy, longevity of materials, or is it more about the weight?

AAC jaeger 30 seemed like a good budget buy when I was looking. Although kinda long @ 9", it's 14oz 300 win mag rated and only $400

Was looking at Lane. Due to budget, might lean towards the stainless steal version. Any thoughts on Stainless vs Titanium? Accuracy, longevity of materials, or is it more about the weight?
Mostly looking for weight savings to lessen POI changes. Nothing wrong with stainless though. Cans aren't inexpensive and with the stamp cost it's sort of a buy once cry once for some.

Recent Posts