Suppressor choice: most bang for your buck :)

I agree with much above, likely a lifetime purchase so trying to save a little money is risky since they're so hard to sell. I have a TB ultra 7 about 3 years now with another in jail. I also have a rimfire can and I'm thinking about another.

I've ran my TB on a few different rifles and all shoot excellent with no POI shift when removing and reinstalling.

As stated, this may become a more difficult process in the future.

Just curious since I live in CA and will probably never have the opportunity to own a suppressor.....how much do these things cost with all the extra taxes?? I mean maybe a "friend" of mine in a place like TX could buy one and I could try it next time I'm out there

$200 one time tax.

Afternoon gentlemen
New here. So looking around I happened upon this thread. My question is this. Will suppressors use the threads on the end of the barrel that a muzzle brake attaches to? I recently purchased (waiting for its delivery, feel almost like a dad waiting for that first child....'almost'...lol) a Christensen Arms Mesa 28 Nosler with a muzzle brake on it. Not sure about it creating too much forward weight since the barrel is ss and 26" long.

I'd go thunderbeast 5 if i coulda found one. From my understanding thunderbeast is back ordered a year and then another 6-12 month wait. Can they be that much better?

Afternoon gentlemen
New here. So looking around I happened upon this thread. My question is this. Will suppressors use the threads on the end of the barrel that a muzzle brake attaches to? I recently purchased (waiting for its delivery, feel almost like a dad waiting for that first child....'almost'...lol) a Christensen Arms Mesa 28 Nosler with a muzzle brake on it. Not sure about it creating too much forward weight since the barrel is ss and 26" long.
Suppressors (aka Can) can screw on to those threads. Just be sure you know what thread pattern the gun uses and make sure you have a compatible pattern on your Can.
Another option, the one I use, is to use a brake manufactured for use with your Can. That way you still have a break working for you when the Can isn't used. Using a brake mount is also quicker than threading on if that matters to you.
I'd highly recommend getting a lightweight Can with a 26" barrel. The real only drawback of a light Can "can" be durability.
Im a big fan of Rugged Suppressors. Great can with a great attachment system.

Thanks!
Any suggestions About which can might be best suited?
Suppressors (aka Can) can screw on to those threads. Just be sure you know what thread pattern the gun uses and make sure you have a compatible pattern on your Can.
Another option, the one I use, is to use a brake manufactured for use with your Can. That way you still have a break working for you when the Can isn't used. Using a brake mount is also quicker than threading on if that matters to you.
I'd highly recommend getting a lightweight Can with a 26" barrel. The real only drawback of a light Can "can" be durability.
Im a big fan of Rugged Suppressors. Great can with a great attachment system.

Thanks!
Any suggestions About which can might be best suited?
If it were me, I'd choose the Radiant. Light weight, good sound reduction, modular meaning it can be configured in 2 different lengths. Do note that Rugged rifle cans do not thread, they only work with a brake or flash hider.
The Radiant also makes a great AR can as it's a low back pressure design.

Afternoon gentlemen

Assuming the threads are 5/8x24 and concentric, you can do a direct thread mount suppressor. However, a quick detachable mounted can is going to be a lot easier to use because a 26" barrel plus the can is going to be seriously unwieldy.

My SiCo Omega could go direct thread if I wanted a super short rifle setup but, today I don't see that minor overall length reduction being worthwhile.

I direct thread all of my bolt action rifles, and use QD-brake mounts on ARs. I will only shoot suppressed if I have the option, and I don't leave suppressors on the bolt guns, it's just as easy to screw on a direct thread as a QD for those in my opinion. I have a jar opener sticky in my gear bag in case it gets a little stuck, they pretty much always just pop off though.

The exception is Thunder Beast. I feel like I read Zak say somewhere that all their direct thread cans are just normal cans with an insert rock-setted in, which is why they can "convert" QD to direct thread. I never did the conversion, so I have a couple of rifles with brakes that can ONLY use that can. 338 Lap Mag and 300 RUM.

Last edited:
They do affect point of impact (POI). Weight on the end of the barrel affects barrel harmonics.
As far as velocity effects, I believe I've read that a Can will add a few feet per second in velocity, but not much. Have not verified this myself.

Recent Posts