Suppressed 300 Win Mag custom build barrel type and length

JTH

Looking for some advice on a custom build. Rifle will be chambered in 300 WM and equipped with a Silencerco Omega suppressor. the only down sides of the suppressor are the added length to the rifle, and the rifle being muzzle heavy. On a rifle with a 24" steel barrel, when carrying with a sling, the rifle wants to flip over backwards, muzzle down. To solve this, I'm considering either a 24" carbon fiber barrel, or a fluted, Sendero profile barrel at 22" in length. Also considering going with an adjustable comb stock (Manners PRS2 or similar) to add a little weight to the buttstock end of the rifle, to provide better balance. Looking to maintain 0.5 MOA or better and greater than 3000 FPS with a 180 grain bullet. Which barrel option would be better, and why?

Looking for some advice on a custom build. Rifle will be chambered in 300 WM and equipped with a Silencerco Omega suppressor. the only down sides of the suppressor are the added length to the rifle, and the rifle being muzzle heavy. On a rifle with a 24" steel barrel, when carrying with a sling, the rifle wants to flip over backwards, muzzle down. To solve this, I'm considering either a 24" carbon fiber barrel, or a fluted, Sendero profile barrel at 22" in length. Also considering going with an adjustable comb stock (Manners PRS2 or similar) to add a little weight to the buttstock end of the rifle, to provide better balance. Looking to maintain 0.5 MOA or better and greater than 3000 FPS with a 180 grain bullet. Which barrel option would be better, and why?
This should give you a general idea ...

done them with 18.5 -28" barrels
my preference and personal 300 RUM is 22" with an ultra 7 attached . makes it dam hard to go back to unsupressed long barreled rigs!!! shoots better than i can and POI doesnt shift when can is on or off!!!

do a 20" or 22" #3 or #3b bart spiral fluted or there about's and you'll be in the chips

there really isnt any need to add weight to the rig it will be balanced just fine

Last edited:
done them with 18.5 -28" barrels
my preference and personal 300 RUM is 22" with an ultra 7 attached . makes it dam hard to go back to unsupressed long barreled rigs!!! shoots better than i can and POI doesnt shift when can is on or off!!!

do a 20" or 22" #3 or #3b bart spiral fluted or there about's and you'll be in the chips

there really isnt any need to add weight to the rig it will be balanced just fine
Not to take away from the thread but I'm about to have a 30 Nos barrel set up for my rifle to shoot suppressed.
I was planning on 24" throated for 245 bergers
Could you please give some details on your 22" RUM?
I'm really interested in the suppression, recoil reduction, and your ballistics.

Not to take away from the thread but I'm about to have a 30 Nos barrel set up for my rifle to shoot suppressed.
I was planning on 24" throated for 245 bergers
Could you please give some details on your 22" RUM?
I'm really interested in the suppression, recoil reduction, and your ballistics.
22" helix 6 carbon 10 twist 215 berger @ 3k with mid load of h1000 single digit ES recoil is very mild
also shoots the 181 hammer @ 3215 W/ h1000

I've done a 22" 30 nosler 215@2880fps h1000 i think the 215 is perfect for the short barrels .. the 230 would be good but velocity loss and minimum BC gain at the lower speed doesn't do it for me!!

Thanks for the replies. Elk Hunter 338 - you've got me thinking about stepping up to a faster cartridge to minimize the velocity loss with the shorter barrel. I'm a fan of monolithic bullets, specifically the 178 absolute hammer, which I'm getting 3230FPS and less than 0.4 MOA out of a 24" barrel. Hate to give up the velocity, looks like you're close to that with the RUM and 181 HH's. How are they grouping for you? Any regrets on the RUM vs other options? Also, any idea of what a 22" 3B barrel would weigh in at?

20200705_191819.jpg

It shoots them ok :)

Thanks for the replies. Elk Hunter 338 - you've got me thinking about stepping up to a faster cartridge to minimize the velocity loss with the shorter barrel. I'm a fan of monolithic bullets, specifically the 178 absolute hammer, which I'm getting 3230FPS and less than 0.4 MOA out of a 24" barrel. Hate to give up the velocity, looks like you're close to that with the RUM and 181 HH's. How are they grouping for you? Any regrets on the RUM vs other options? Also, any idea of what a 22" 3B barrel would weigh in at?
I am a HUGE 300 RUM fan always have been! Super easy to tune, have wide nodes, quality brass from several different makers will shoot any powder you put in it... super hard to complain about the case CAP the rum has,,,,, and now that i run CAN's almost exclusively its no brainer!
I don't care what anyone says! there isn't a replacement for displacement!!!! I've had them all from a 300 SAUM to a 300 RUM all with the same barrel, length and powder and the volume of the RUM always wins!!!

some have been a major let down ,, but the ole big bad rum just never disappoints

I am a HUGE 300 RUM fan always have been! Super easy to tune, have wide nodes, quality brass from several different makers will shoot any powder you put in it... super hard to complain about the case CAP the rum has,,,,, and now that i run CAN's almost exclusively its no brainer!
I don't care what anyone says! there isn't a replacement for displacement!!!! I've had them all from a 300 SAUM to a 300 RUM all with the same barrel, length and powder and the volume of the RUM always wins!!!

some have been a major let down ,, but the ole big bad rum just never disappoints
That's pretty cool you've had such good luck with the RUM.
Is there a noticeable step up in recoil compared to a 300 mag or 30 Nosler, and have you burned out a barrel yet?
If so Id be real interested in round counts before accuracy loss

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.