superformance primer pocket to small

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dlzbrg, Nov 6, 2011.

1. dlzbrg

dlzbrg New Member

I have a box of hornady superformance in 308 winchester. When I tried to put the primer in
    it won't fit it is too tight. Has anyone heard of this problem. I have a lee hand primer and it bends and smashes the primer when i try to put it in. If I use the press to prime it takes alot of pressure but it will go in.

2. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

1 2 3 4 5

3. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

Maybe they are crimped due to the higher pressures the loads develop earlier on in
    the combustion process.

4. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

Please stop where you are at and try another primer. I've seen this with some CCI 200's in WW 243 brass, but Fed 210's went in just fine.

If you're having to use the press to prime the case, then you're very close to a dangerous situation of having a primer explode in your face. The Lee auto prime is usually plenty of force to seat a primer. Next thing you're likely to encounter is that the priming lever will break on the Lee because of the undue stess that's been exerted on it.

Stop before you blow your eyes out. If a softer primer wont go in easily, then pitch the brass or try uniforming/reaming the pockets.

5. R.Ph. 380

R.Ph. 380 Member

I was just thinking how easy it is to uniform the pockets and prevent this problem. First thing I would try.

Bill