superformance primer pocket to small

dlzbrg

I have a box of hornady superformance in 308 winchester. When I tried to put the primer in
it won't fit it is too tight. Has anyone heard of this problem. I have a lee hand primer and it bends and smashes the primer when i try to put it in. If I use the press to prime it takes alot of pressure but it will go in.

Maybe they are crimped due to the higher pressures the loads develop earlier on in
the combustion process.

Please stop where you are at and try another primer. I've seen this with some CCI 200's in WW 243 brass, but Fed 210's went in just fine.

If you're having to use the press to prime the case, then you're very close to a dangerous situation of having a primer explode in your face. The Lee auto prime is usually plenty of force to seat a primer. Next thing you're likely to encounter is that the priming lever will break on the Lee because of the undue stess that's been exerted on it.

Stop before you blow your eyes out. If a softer primer wont go in easily, then pitch the brass or try uniforming/reaming the pockets.

Please stop where you are at and try another primer. I've seen this with some CCI 200's in WW 243 brass, but Fed 210's went in just fine.

If you're having to use the press to prime the case, then you're very close to a dangerous situation of having a primer explode in your face. The Lee auto prime is usually plenty of force to seat a primer. Next thing you're likely to encounter is that the priming lever will break on the Lee because of the undue stess that's been exerted on it.

Stop before you blow your eyes out. If a softer primer wont go in easily, then pitch the brass or try uniforming/reaming the pockets.

I was just thinking how easy it is to uniform the pockets and prevent this problem. First thing I would try.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.