Superformance Powder

works well in a 6XC also (22-250 parent case) 105 berger 42.5 grains Superformance, 3200 fps in 26" barrel, was told max was 43, 42.5 grains makes 3/8" 3 shot groups at 100.

The superformance is slow burning. Like in the H4831 range or slower. It's for more over bore cartridges than 308. That's why you're not seeing a lot of data.

I will admit that it is confusing that Hornady makes an ammo line that doesn't use the powder with the same name.

I've had good luck with it in the 22-250 though.
From what I'm seeing is sup does very well with the heavier bullets in the 22-250 and not so much with the lighter stuff. I have an unopened bottle I got for my 280 rem but thinking of trying it with my 22-250 as well but all I have now is the 50gr as that's all I use for it.
I had good loads with the imr 4007sc but recently found out it's no good and I have to throw it out.
that's real nice in times like these where we have to throw powder out because it's unstable.

So I'll ask the newbie question: what do those three cartridges have in common that makes them suited to that powder?
My original guess was short powder columns with over bore calibers and light weight bullets for the 300 wsm. But the 280 blew that theory up!

I've been wanting to try Superformance in my .300SAUM's, but can't find published data for it. It has the best performance in the .300WSM and the .300 RCM, but Hodgdon told me that it wouldn't work in the SAUM. I've seen data that individuals that showed good perfomance and they had no problems with it. It is right between those other two in case capacity so it should work. Other cartridges show good performance and i have several pounds of it so i'm going to also try to work some loads. I have a good chronometer so I can know gauge performance.

The saum lost a lot of popularity when the 300wsm came out. Probably more of a situation where the folks at Hornady didn't test the saum rather than it not "working" in that cartridge.

Start at 59.0-60.0gr for 160gr class bullets and you should be fine. If you shoot anything heavier back it down 1gr of powder per 10gr of bullet weight.

I called them and was told that it was tested and velocity gains were mot improved until pressure limits were exceeded. I asked why because the .300WSM, the .300SAUM, and the .300RCM were almost identical. He gave me a cock and bull story which didn't believe, but I didn't want to argue with the "expert" over the phone. I have plenty of factory ammo so I don't need to reload. I found a lot of .300 SAUM ammo and brass at close out prices. When I need to reload, I'll get more serious about working up reloads. I have M700 titanium action rifle with a Leupold light weight scope that weighs less than 6 1/2 pounds. I have another M700 NEF rifle, and am currently building a M700 switch barrel with a Wyattes box so I should be able to improve velocities by increasing case capacities. You can take Hodgdon's data with a grain of salt. I saw 6.5RM loads that were less than 6.5CM velocities.

I use Superform in a 260 Rem. Load with 125 grain Partitions that is very fast and very very accurate. It has been consistent lot to lot. I do not know about temp stability as I don't think I have ever taken the opportunity to shoot it when it is over 65 degrees out. Alot of folks in the family have used that gun and load, it has killed more deer than blue tongue.

I used mine to start a wood pile to burn. Tried it in a few calobers, wasnt even close to advertised velocities. Im not the only one with that issue. Made pretty colored flames!😅😅😅😅
Laugh.gif

Superformance has been my powder of choice for 300WSM for years - it performs as advertised achieving higher velocities at lower pressures than any other powder I've used and still gives good accuracy. In an article by Richard Mann (2011) on LoadData he quotes Chris Hodgdon (Hodgdon Powders) where he advises of the dangers of trying to duplicate factory Superformance loads as follows:
All Superformance Hornady ammunition is not loaded with the commercially available Superformance Hodgdon powder; different blends are used for different loads.
Cartridges listed as recommended on the container are 22-250, 243 Win and 300WSM. However, Hodgdon and a number of other manuals and websites have now published loads for Superformance in other (usually over-bore) chamberings. With a little on-line research you should find quite a few loads. Ex. I recently noticed Barnes has a 270 Win load for 140 gr bullets. BTW -haven't come across anything for 222 or 308. Hope this helps
I just bought some Super
Superformance has been my powder of choice for 300WSM for years - it performs as advertised achieving higher velocities at lower pressures than any other powder I've used and still gives good accuracy. In an article by Richard Mann (2011) on LoadData he quotes Chris Hodgdon (Hodgdon Powders) where he advises of the dangers of trying to duplicate factory Superformance loads as follows:
All Superformance Hornady ammunition is not loaded with the commercially available Superformance Hodgdon powder; different blends are used for different loads.
Cartridges listed as recommended on the container are 22-250, 243 Win and 300WSM. However, Hodgdon and a number of other manuals and websites have now published loads for Superformance in other (usually over-bore) chamberings. With a little on-line research you should find quite a few loads. Ex. I recently noticed Barnes has a 270 Win load for 140 gr bullets. BTW -haven't come across anything for 222 or 308. Hope this helps
I just found some Superformance powder that I will try in my .300 WSM behind 181 Gr Hammer Hunters. Would you share your load data?

I just bought some Super

I just found some Superformance powder that I will try in my .300 WSM behind 181 Gr Hammer Hunters. Would you share your load data?
Bull Mtn - I use a mid-range load of 67.5 gr of Super with 165 Nosler AB (antelope/deer) and 168 gr Barnes TTSX (moose/elk) velocity is 3030 fps+ in 24" bbls. That node/load works in 4 different WSMs with only slight tweaking- and seating depth fine tuned accuracy for each rifle. If you're interested, this last year I developed some great loads for 300WSM using 71.1 gr RL26 and same bullets giving at least 100+ greater fps with less pressure. Now 2 rifles running Super and 2 run RL26. Nodes were a little wider and more forgiving with RL26. These loads were safe in my rifles -as always start lower and work your way up to ensure they're safe in yours. Hope this helps.

Bull Mtn - I use a mid-range load of 67.5 gr of Super with 165 Nosler AB (antelope/deer) and 168 gr Barnes TTSX (moose/elk) velocity is 3030 fps+ in 24" bbls. That node/load works in 4 different WSMs with only slight tweaking- and seating depth fine tuned accuracy for each rifle. If you're interested, this last year I developed some great loads for 300WSM using 71.1 gr RL26 and same bullets giving at least 100+ greater fps with less pressure. Now 2 rifles running Super and 2 run RL26. Nodes were a little wider and more forgiving with RL26. These loads were safe in my rifles -as always start lower and work your way up to ensure they're safe in yours. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have been using RL-16 but ran out. I have had great success with RL-16 from 175 to 200 gr Fed Terminal Ascent and the HH 181. I'm going to order some 166 and 174 grain HH and try them with the Superformance.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been using RL-16 but ran out. I have had great success with RL-16 from 175 to 200 gr Fed Terminal Ascent and the HH 181. I'm going to order some 166 and 174 grain HH and try them with the Superformance.
Super will certainly work well with the bullet weights you mentioned I just haven't had the need to go heavier for the hunting I do. Good luck with your development - let me know how things go with the 2 HH's you're looking at.