Superformance Powder

Kaveman44

The ammo I hunt with the most in my 308 is super performance by hornady, why when I look up the data under super performance powder do they not have much data on it, don't see anything for 308 at all, thanks guys

The powder you can buy is not the same as what they put in every superformance factory round. It's a little slow burning for the 308, more suited to cases a little more overbore. I've got a pound of it, never have found a good use for it.

Now the Lever powder on the other hand, is great in 30-30 so far in my experience. I get great accuracy in the mid range loads, not as good towards the upper end.

The superformance is slow burning. Like in the H4831 range or slower. It's for more over bore cartridges than 308. That's why you're not seeing a lot of data.

I will admit that it is confusing that Hornady makes an ammo line that doesn't use the powder with the same name.

I've had good luck with it in the 22-250 though.

The powder you can buy is not the same as what they put in every superformance factory round. It's a little slow burning for the 308, more suited to cases a little more overbore. I've got a pound of it, never have found a good use for it.

Now the Lever powder on the other hand, is great in 30-30 so far in my experience. I get great accuracy in the mid range loads, not as good towards the upper end.

This point is critical. Do not take an off the shelf round and try to match that weight. Like a fruit loop, I did that and had my only blown primer. You might check Hodgdon's online reloading data to see if they have a load.

Just a question. Has Hornaday ever said that the super performance powder used in there loaded ammo is different then the superperformance powder they sell in the can? Just asking because I have pulled the bullet on their loaded ammo (25-06 sst S_P) and it looks exactly like the canned powder. Multiple size disc flakes of the same color. I use the S.P. in 243 with 100 gr. bullets and get great V and accuracy. And No I don't know if all their super - performance line of ammo uses super perf. powder. In the above example on the 25-06 the Hornaday manual shows no reloads using this powder but appears to use it in their loaded ammo.

Superformance has been my powder of choice for 300WSM for years - it performs as advertised achieving higher velocities at lower pressures than any other powder I've used and still gives good accuracy. In an article by Richard Mann (2011) on LoadData he quotes Chris Hodgdon (Hodgdon Powders) where he advises of the dangers of trying to duplicate factory Superformance loads as follows:
All Superformance Hornady ammunition is not loaded with the commercially available Superformance Hodgdon powder; different blends are used for different loads.
Cartridges listed as recommended on the container are 22-250, 243 Win and 300WSM. However, Hodgdon and a number of other manuals and websites have now published loads for Superformance in other (usually over-bore) chamberings. With a little on-line research you should find quite a few loads. Ex. I recently noticed Barnes has a 270 Win load for 140 gr bullets. BTW -haven't come across anything for 222 or 308. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Just a question. Has Hornaday ever said that the super performance powder used in there loaded ammo is different then the superperformance powder they sell in the can? Just asking because I have pulled the bullet on their loaded ammo (25-06 sst S_P) and it looks exactly like the canned powder. Multiple size disc flakes of the same color. I use the S.P. in 243 with 100 gr. bullets and get great V and accuracy. And No I don't know if all their super - performance line of ammo uses super perf. powder. In the above example on the 25-06 the Hornaday manual shows no reloads using this powder but appears to use it in their loaded ammo.
No, they haven't, which seems like a liability IMO, and I've called Hodgdon about having more published load data. Contractual things with Hornady is why there is not much out there.

Kaveman, check out this thread, there may be something there: