Superformance has made a believer out of me!

aramarine6

So like most, I was alittle skeptical about the velocity claims people and the company had been making about the superformance line up. After this weekend I can say they weren't lying....At least in my barrel. I have a remington 700 308 win. with a 16 inch barrel and surefire brake on it. The best velocities I could manage were between 2475 and 2525 with the 150-168 grainers. This weekend I ran a box of 150 grain SSTs over the chrono.(3000 fps claimed) Well I didn't get 3000 fps but I wasnt expecting that either. I was just hoping to get to 2600. I ended up with a 10 shot string of 2760! ES=23. And groupings of .75 moa. Needless to say I'm very pleased, especially considering it was only 15 degrees outside. Now if they could just make a superformance load for my 338 RUM:D

Yeah, not sure how they come up with their velocity claims. I have a 204 that loves Hornady Superformance. I chronoed and the speeds were around 3600. They claimed 3900. I even tried to throw the rifle and shoot it the same time to get that speed. LOL.

I bought a few lbs of it and have been playing with 7 08, 204, and 6.5-284. It works in all but the velocity is not there for the 284 and 204. It is accurate though. Next range outing, probably tomorrow, I will take super and run it through the 7 08 at 49 grains. I don't know if this stuff is temp sensitive or not but I have other powders I will compare. Right now 41 grs IMR 4064 and 49 super put the bullet in almost the same hole.

Next range outing, probably tomorrow, I will take super and run it through the 7 08 at 49 grains. I don't know if this stuff is temp sensitive or not but I have other powders I will compare. Right now 41 grs IMR 4064 and 49 super put the bullet in almost the same hole.

You are just like the rest of us clowns - always trying to improve on something that doesn't need improving :)

I am mental for sure. I have not chronoed these yet so I need to see what I have going on. This rifle will get a LR scope eventually so I want to get the DOPE and have it all ready to rock. The reason for more testing is to see what extreme powders I can use too. : ) I really like the extremes for hunting and not worrying about POI shift changes due to variation of velocity.

I am mental for sure. I have not chronoed these yet so I need to see what I have going on. This rifle will get a LR scope eventually so I want to get the DOPE and have it all ready to rock. The reason for more testing is to see what extreme powders I can use too. : ) I really like the extremes for hunting and not worrying about POI shift changes due to variation of velocity.

I fully understand - been there done that way too many times.
Good luck

I chronoed the 7-08 with 140 VLDs. 2740 at 49 grains super. Load is at max. I get 2780 with 42 grains IMR4064.

Tried Benchmark and H4831 as well. 39.5 Benchmark was 2763. I have a place to work from and would prefer an extreme powder. 4064 seems to work well in the case though.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.