Superformance: Did I Get Lucky?

General RE LEE

I see mixed reviews on Hodgdon Superformance powder. I found a unicorn load of 46.9 grains for my 6.5 Creed. Shoots a 140 grain Sierra Tipped GameChanger 2901 FPS sub MOA accuracy with a SD of 6 and ES of 15 with no ejector marks or heavy bolt lift. This is compared to my H4350 load that gives me 2700 FPS with the 143 grain ELD-X.

That's 200 FPS faster by using Superformance compared to my other pet load. I think I am lucky, especially for a hunting load.

My experience with Superformance has been the same in 300 WSM - was about 150 FPS faster than previous pet loads with RL 19 and 22. I found it more finicky to find a good and consistent accuracy load, but once dialed in its been our sub-MOA hunting load for years. Seems like when it works it works well.

I have several 8#ers of super, but yet haven't tried any. Going too see how it works for 264wm w/150smk at 1/7.5 twist. Also for 243win, 260rem, 6.5creed and 556. I wish QL would update powders and bullet info!

I have several 8#ers of super, but yet haven't tried any. Going too see how it works for 264wm w/150smk at 1/7.5 twist. Also for 243win, 260rem, 6.5creed and 556. I wish QL would update powders and bullet info!
You have to purchase the June 2021 update for Quickload. It doesnt update while online. It comes as a disc in the mail.

My experience with Superformance has been the same in 300 WSM - was about 150 FPS faster than previous pet loads with RL 19 and 22. I found it more finicky to find a good and consistent accuracy load, but once dialed in its been our sub-MOA hunting load for years. Seems like when it works it works well.

Exact same experience with my 300 WSM.

I read recently that some powder temp sensitivity is also pressure dependent and it may be more stable if not at a max load.

I too developed a load using Superformance hoping to squeeze an extra 150fps out of my 18" 6.5CM Sig Cross. My testing wasn't going anywhere till I switched primers. Winchester to CCI made my groups go from 1.5MOA to 0.5MOA changing absolutely nothing else.

Yep, I have heard winchester primers are the hottest on the market, and you are probably getting a little more uniform or slower burn rate and pressure curve w the same powder than before by going to CCI.

Ive heard winchester primers work best in full large mag cases for that reason.

Maybe others can say or verify this?

Had excellent results with it in .243 win and 75gr vmax. Tried in some other cartridges and results were ok, but nothing stellar.
As for the superformance ammunition hornady produces it has been a complete waste of money in multiple rifles for me. It definately shoots faster, but accuracy has been 1.75-2MOA standard. I even went as far as trying to adjust seating depths with the factory ammo and nothing helped.

I tried it in my 6.5 CM but didn't get as good of results as my H4350 or even H414. I did like it in my 300 WSM with 150 grain silver ballistic tips at 3270 fps. This closely matches the Winchester Supreme factory loads that always shot very good groups.