Superformance and .30 06

General RE LEE

I scored 2lbs at LGS and excited to load it in my Tikka .30 06 with 175 grain Federal Edge TLR.

Ive got some load data just looking for overall feedback about the powder.

22" 30-06
Hornady 150 SST (sat to cannelure)
Hornady 1F factory brass
Fed 210M
61.4gn Superperformance (book max - Hornady 10th)
2887 FPS (projected 2800)

I've used it in 30-06, and 6.5CM, works great in both of them.

I use 64.7gr of Superformance in our standard 150gr 30-06 loads as a duplicate to the Superformance ammo.

I did have a load with the 178gr A-Max that was around 60gr but I don't recall exactly what it was.

It is very temp sensitive but since I only shoot those loads in the fall when the temp was between 30 and 50 degrees it took a few years to notice how bad it was.

No experience with the powder but I did shoot up a box of those bullets. Expect lower velocities and higher pressures. With H4350 I got right at 2900 ft/sec with 165 tipped game kings. With those TLR's I got to 2800 and popped a primer. So so accuracy to boot

I have used it quite a bit in the 30-06 and 30-06ai with bullets weights from 168-185. I was always able to get really good velocity, maybe it was the barrels though. My hunting load last year was 59gr Superformance, CCI 250 primer, Nosler 180gr Silvertip. This load averaged 2886 out of my 22" barrel.
60771286169__A8EB01DE-B53D-4A0D-94A7-B4EEBFC6429F (2).JPG

I saw some available recently and read a lot of mixed feedback so I didn't buy it. I truly love the factory loadings for 25-06, 308, and 6.5x55 but it is a different powder as I understand.

No experience with the powder but I did shoot up a box of those bullets. Expect lower velocities and higher pressures. With H4350 I got right at 2900 ft/sec with 165 tipped game kings. With those TLR's I got to 2800 and popped a primer. So so accuracy to boot
You should load the Federal TLR and TBT using Barnes data or any other Monolithic bullet data as starting point. If you loaded same as TGK's you were probably 2-3 grains over max , just saying .

You should load the Federal TLR and TBT using Barnes data or any other Monolithic bullet data as starting point. If you loaded same as TGK's you were probably 2-3 grains over max , just saying .
Not what I did. Loaded 165 TGK with 165 data, and warm at that. With the 175 TLR I started at the bottom with sierras 175-180 load data and worked up to 2800. No real pressure signs to speak of and then popped a primer. That coupled with federal coming out and saying it wasn't a super accurate bullet to start with made it very easy not to buy anymore.

Not what I did. Loaded 165 TGK with 165 data, and warm at that. With the 175 TLR I started at the bottom with sierras 175-180 load data and worked up to 2800. No real pressure signs to speak of and then popped a primer. That coupled with federal coming out and saying it wasn't a super accurate bullet to start with made it very easy not to buy anymore.
Did you strip the barrel , my 30-06 shoots them( 175 TLR) in a ragged hole , 1/4" BUT it takes around 9 shots after barrel clean for them to fall in . You might already know this , I learned it the hard way. When ever testing monoliths or plated it is best to start with a clean barrel and some times takes many more fouling shots than normal before they tighten up . Federal updated the TLR to I think the Ascention , it has two pressure relief rings and is suppose to be easier to make group . I have several hundred 175 TLR's and I love them , they are killing machines . longest shot so far was right at 650 . I am about to test the 151Absolute hammers , I will post results after I find Mr. Steve's recommended powder H4895 . If you test them further let me know your results I would be interest in findings . Thank you Sir , floyd

Did you strip the barrel , my 30-06 shoots them( 175 TLR) in a ragged hole , 1/4" BUT it takes around 9 shots after barrel clean for them to fall in . You might already know this , I learned it the hard way. When ever testing monoliths or plated it is best to start with a clean barrel and some times takes many more fouling shots than normal before they tighten up . Federal updated the TLR to I think the Ascention , it has two pressure relief rings and is suppose to be easier to make group . I have several hundred 175 TLR's and I love them , they are killing machines . longest shot so far was right at 650 . I am about to test the 151Absolute hammers , I will post results after I find Mr. Steve's recommended powder H4895 . If you test them further let me know your results I would be interest in findings . Thank you Sir , floyd
They shot sub MOA for me most of the time but I like to think I found a better mousetrap. I've heard people talk about the stripping down for monolithic bullets but I've never done it deliberately and Barnes ammo has always shot well. I do clean my bores fairly frequently though so maybe that's why. But yeah when I saw them talking about the terminal ascent shooting like 2x better than TLR's and seeing my final velocity I'll buy the new bullets if I revisit

I'm just glad I grabbed a few boxes of the now old school 180 grain trophy bonded tips before
I knew about the tlr and terminal ascent.