Super Varmint Master

Hired Gun

I went to the big city today for a doctor appointment and got a chance to go where they stock about everything. I played with them all. Sako, Remington, Kimber, and Weatherby on a rack. A $2400 Swarovski spotter was in the case too. Around here you have to just look at the pictures and order and live with whatever they send you. I have played with some fine rifles at the range but this one really made an impression. The bolt worked like it was on ball bearings. It just glides. I couldn't find a flaw with it. The metal to stock fit was perfect. The barrel was fully floated as verified by two stacked dollar bills sliding right back to the action. The trigger was set low with no perceptible creep. Now the best part, the barrel. Wow, what a beast. This thing is endowed for an off the rack rifle. If it were a bird it would be a Toucan of the bird kingdom. The muzzle was cut with an 11-degree target style crown. The stock was desert tan with a flattened forend varmint style stock that fit really well in my hand and pointed very nice. It was brand new at GI Joes in Eugene OR for 1299.99. Not bad of a price for everything you get with one of these. If how my Accumarks shoot is any indication what Weatherby's best foot forward in accurate rifles ought to shoot like, then this thing out to be fine as most customs right out of the box. I'm holding out for a 243 and then I will have it rechambered to 240 Wby for a nice 6mm Varminter for my stable.

Sigh, Now, how am I ever going to set aside 1300 for the SVM and another 2400 for the Swarovski without the wife figuring it out. Do you think she would believe I stuck 74,000 pop cans in the recycling machine?

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think she would believe I stuck 74,000 pop cans in the recycling machine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how much beer/pop you drink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes, you hit on the problem. Weatherby no longer chambers any decent gun in 240 Wby. Both of the guns they offer have a light 24 inch barrel with a 1-10 twist.

For the same money here is what I did.

30 inch barrel in 1-8 twist - $300

Chambered with min spec neck and no freebore - $300

Trigger -$100

Rem 700 action(I already had an action) and trued $500

Laminated thumbhole stock $300 pillar bedded, you finish exterior.

With no freebore in the throat you lose some velocity but with a 30 inch barrel you gain it back. With a 1-8 twist you get the high BC bullets stabilized and achieve the guns true potential. With a benchrest quailty barrel you don't have to depend on "LUCK" to get a good barrel. With a quality gunsmith you know all components are put together with care.

If you aren't wedded to the name of Weatherby like I am, then you can achieve the same thing with the 6-06 or 6-284. You just won't have the nice belt and venturi shoulder.

Something to think about.

CDNN use to have great deals on the Weatherby varmint rifles, check their website, you will have to download their catalog.

Justin

buffalobob

remind me not to use your smith if he is charging $300 to chamber a barrel on a trued action.

Top smiths in the 1k BR game only charge $175 and that normally includes lug lapping and facing the rcvr.

BH

If it can be done cheaper then my point is even more valid.

Exactly how much each item is I don't remember. He rattled off some numbers and I wrote him a check for half. After a while I guess I will get my gun back and the rest of the bill. His website has a price range of $120 to $400 for chambering threading and facing the barrel. The barrel itself is not included in the price.

The cost in my post on the action includes about $350 to buy a Rem 700 action and about $150 to true it.

As far as the gunsmith goes he lives close enough to you to reach out his shop window and whack you with a stick if you bad mouth him too much and I suspect you shoot with him on a regular basis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[image]http://
Lazzeroni.gif
[/image]

I have a Super VarmintMaster from shortly after they were introduced. I picked one up in the 220 Swift single shot. It is one of my favorite guns. It is relatively easy to work up loads for, looks great and shoots like a dream. It regularly shoots groups well under .5" with real hot loads. I have killed many a groundhog with it and have a couple kills with it now over 500 yds. I haven't warmed it up yet this year but the time is certainly drawing near.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts