Super Sniper Scopes

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Hello,

Anyone out there have experience w/ this line of scopes. I am thinking of getting rid of my Nikon Monarch 5.5 x 16.5 and going w/ a straight 10x.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, Steve

Howdy Steve,

We have both the 10X and 18X SS scopes here. We have no Nikon scopes, keep that in mind as you read this. All Nikon all my Nikon knowledge came from this forum.

They are "good" scopes. I have no complaints. They are what they say they are and are a great buy.

"However" you can set the Nikon to 10 or 16X any time you wish. I'd bet, and win, that the Nikon optics are better all the way around.

I don't know if your Nikon has target turrets? If it doesn't , that would be a deal breaker for me.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Mil-Dot ret. is becoming fairly useless to me, since I've started clicking, that is. Mainly because the Clicks are MOA and the ret. is Mils.

Nevertheless, I'd have a hard time going from your Nikon to a SS unless it was for 1K and beyond LRH from a hide.

Just my nickels worth.......

As much as I like my SS10X42 and SS16X42, I'd have to agree. Unless your Nikon is just plain lacking in some area such as not having target turrets, or having problems with repeatability, I think I'd stick w/ what you have. The SS glass is more or less 'good enough' - not great. The two big selling points for the SS scopes are a) cheap and b) bomb-proof reliable.

Monte

I have had reticles break under heavy recoil and have a friend who sent back 2 varialble scope that were replaced by Nikon. I sold all my Nikon variable scope for this reason. Good optics though.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

Anyone out there have experience w/ this line of scopes. I am thinking of getting rid of my Nikon Monarch 5.5 x 16.5 and going w/ a straight 10x

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

What you want for that Nikon? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As much as I like my SS10X42 and SS16X42, I'd have to agree. Unless your Nikon is just plain lacking in some area such as not having target turrets, or having problems with repeatability, I think I'd stick w/ what you have. The SS glass is more or less 'good enough' - not great. The two big selling points for the SS scopes are a) cheap and b) bomb-proof reliable.

Monte

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one in 10x and cannot agree more with Monte's post.

The SS is nothing to write Mom about, but for the money, it's a decent scope. But if you can stretch the budget a little more I'll take a further look to other options.

Thank you for the opinions. I guess the only thing that I have to complain about is the lack of eye relief @ 16.5x. I was thinking the fixed power scope may be better, am thinking about clicking for drop in the field, and didn't know if the SS would be better.

Should I add target turrets to my Nikon?

Thank you, Steve

The SS has good eye relief, and on every one I've seen or used, the clicks have been about as predictable as death and taxes. Finding a scope that has exposed click adjustable turrets might be a very good idea if you intend on shooting beyond 300-400yds...

No experience w/ the Nikon.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.