Summer Night Calling (Anyone?)

yote doctor

This is the time of year even us serious coyote hunters start to "nod off" so to speak when it comes to calling. But while hiding in my air conditioned basement I still cant help but think I should be out there playing cat and mouse with this one animal that drives me to the limits. The song dogs!

So, any of you fellas out there trying any (night time) calling during the summer. Night calling is fairly new to me anytime of the year but am willing to get out and work at it.

Your experiences and statistics would be much appreciated as well as any different calling sequence used during this time of year.

Pups will be out!

Thanks
Brian

My advice is just go do it. You will not kill them on the sofa in front of the tv. Sometimes you need to think outside the box.
Give it a try & let us know!!!
Good luck, Kirk

Down here in the south hides never get good so we get after em' every chance we get. We hunt quite often at night simply because of the heat. We hunt with white lights with in-line dimmers installed. We use just a little more light than is needed to find eyes. If they are coming good we will turn the light up keeping them in the halo more than the center of the beam. Sometimes they are coming so hard they are oblivious to the light. Sometimes shadows can hurt you but mostly the vermin have very little inhabition at night. We mostly use rabit distress be it cotton tail or jack. With a lot of food around this time of year, an easy meal at night is hard for them to resist. Cats are much easier at night as well. You will still have your bad nights and weather conditions will always play a part. Start your calls on low to mid volume. If it doesn't happen in about 15 minutes its probably not going to. Move on and try another spot. Good luck.

I'm from the south as well and summer is one of the most successful times of year for us. Pup distress is deadly through summer around here. Day and night, I typically hunt from just before dark till about midnight and from whenever I can drag myself out of bed till about an hour after daylight.

I will give it a shot and post updates.

I should have stated that I call a lot of coyotes every year for the past 9 years. Its like a second job for me in the winter months. I just havent put out any effort in the summer and wanted to see what kind of results some of you were having this time of year. And maybe certain sounds that work better in summer vs winter.

Thanks for the reply's

I'm from the south as well and summer is one of the most successful times of year for us. Pup distress is deadly through summer around here. Day and night, I typically hunt from just before dark till about midnight and from whenever I can drag myself out of bed till about an hour after daylight.

Works here in Virginia (I consider that the South, too!) as well. Friend of mine was farting around with a new FLIR unit the other night and got 2. Seem to be easier to call in the summer.

I bit the bullet, so to speak, this winter ,and picked up a Pulsar DFA75. It's a digital night vision attachment that you can connect to your own scope and use for night hunting of coyotes here in Idaho (crazy thing is that night time light hunting is illegal here, but thermal and night vision isn't for yotes).

I have to admit... initially... I was disappointed with the image quality and distance for viewing, but after buying a decent IR light, I'm very very pleased as I can see yotes clearly out to 350 yards... and their eyes much much further out.

It's changed the way I hunt. I don't even hunt coyotes during the day anymore... and I don't have to worry about getting all camoed up anymore. Just toss on a decent jacket and grab my caller... it's paws up from there on out. I've found that night hunting is more exciting for me when it comes to yotes... and I highly recommend it. We do have a thermal imaging cam which helps to spot mutts sneaking in, but I can't afford a good thermal scope, so for me, this was a nice option that turned out to be a great option.

Hope you can get out there and get some wilies at night, because I can't imagine that you wouldn't enjoy it thoroughly. Good hunting!

James

Here's my first mutt with the Pulsar.... I was very jazzed... a one shot DRT. Only thing is because it's a parascopish type of mount, then you have to remember to shoot approximately 1.7" high across the board. Pretty easy to adjust to though.
nightcoyote01.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts