Suitable youth rifle for a Mule Deer hunt?

I've killed a lot of mule deer, with bow and rifle. Any of the cartridges you mentioned will work fine. They are not that tough. Put one where it counts and they will go down.

The last two years my grandson took mule deer bucks with a 243 at 200 +-. Practice and good shot placement is the key. The worst thing you can do is start them to flinch with heavier recoil rifles

Any deer cartridge will work just fine. Make shore the rifle fits your daughter and she enjoys shooting it and shots it well. My son is 11 years old, he shoots a savage engage 30-06, it has the adjustable length of pull and a very good recoil pad. This allows the rifle to fit him and greatly reduces the felt recoil allowing him to shoot it well. My point is if you have or get a rifle that she shoots well and enjoys chambered in any standard deer cartridge she will be able to make a good shot and shot placement is the most important think. I hope she has a grate hunt, Good luck and God bless to you both.

The 6 creedmoor and the 110 smk will work fine. If that is your match rifle, obviously you have done your load work, and the dope is proven. I have shot several animals with the 110 smk in 6mm, and the 95 smk in .22 cal, they worked well for me on deer, and too aggressive for coyotes.

The 6 creedmoor and the 110 smk will work fine. If that is your match rifle, obviously you have done your load work, and the dope is proven. I have shot several animals with the 110 smk in 6mm, and the 95 smk in .22 cal, they worked well for me on deer, and too aggressive for coyotes.

Curious as to what .22 you are shooting the 95 smk in and what twist. Wasn't sure if they would hold together in a fast twist at high speed. Some of the old Sierra's wouldn't reach the target if driven too fast. I'm just thinking ahead about an 8 twist 22-250.

I'll be taking my 13 year old on a mule deer hunt that she was drawn for and I'm looking for ideas on a good cartridge that is suitable for the job. It says in the hunt guide that most shots will be 200 yards or further. I have a 6.5 Grendel for her to whitetail hunt with. Though it has done well for close range whitetail, I don't feel it is a good choice for Mule deer at the suggested ranges. The other two options I have available is a 14lb match rifle in 6mm Creedmoor or a 300wsm. I'm unsure that a 100-110gr 6mm is enough and personally think the 300wsm will be a bit much recoil. The two cartridges that come to mind that I think would be a good middle of the road cartridge for this application would be the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC. It wouldn't take much for me to spin up another barrel and swap it out ...accept for the fact that I don't have a barrel laying around. Maybe I can get by with what I have or maybe I need to buy a barrel? Looking for some ideas and opinions. Also to add, I have never hunted Mule deer so it will be a new adventure for the both of us. Thanks ahead of time for any tips, tricks & advice

Your 6mm Creed should do really well for her with less recoil she can work on good shot placement.
Enjoy your time together on your hunt.

I have shot mule deer with a 7TCU pistol and a 50 caliber muzzle loader. Also, most with a bow. Shot placement and terminal ballistics of the bullet is what gets the job done. A 300 blackout will work, as will any 6mm. A 6mm with an 80-100 grain bullet, my choice would be the Barnes TTSX 80 grain. It shoots flat, retains 100% bullet weight, low recoil, stabilizes in 1 in 10 twist barrels, and has manageable recoil for the 12 year old. If you have a 1 in 8 twist barrel then go with the Barnes LRX in 95 grain. Even better B.C. It's way more important to hit the perfect vital shot than having a flinch caused gut shot. Bigger calibers do not make up for poor shot placement. A light 243, 6 Rem, or Creedmoor is more than enough. Use a premium bullet. I couldn't get the 108 grain ELM to stabilize well in my 6 Rem, so am going lighter. 100 grain Hornady Spitzer flat base or Nosler Partitions will also work, if you like lead bullets. You'll get better B.C.'s with the Barnes TTSX and LRX, I believe.

Curious as to what .22 you are shooting the 95 smk in and what twist. Wasn't sure if they would hold together in a fast twist at high speed. Some of the old Sierra's wouldn't reach the target if driven too fast. I'm just thinking ahead about an 8 twist 22-250.
I used them in a 22x47 lapua, with a 7 twist bartlein. Ran them at 3000 with a 20" barrel. Also ran the 90 grain vld out of the same barrel at 3050. No issues. I did however run into problems with a 22-243 middlestead with an 8 twist and a 80 grain Berger at 3500. If you plan on using the 80 grain Berger, 3400 is as fast as I would go, from my experience.

I say 243. I'm not sure why you would worry about 6mm bullets from 100 grains and up. 95 grain Berger hunting bullets work excellent for mule deer. If you really do want something a touch bigger then 25-06 is next with 115 Berger's. Either one will kill mule deer lightning dead.
Some states won't allow smaller than a 25 caliber for mule deer hunting.

I'll be taking my 13 year old on a mule deer hunt that she was drawn for and I'm looking for ideas on a good cartridge that is suitable for the job. It says in the hunt guide that most shots will be 200 yards or further. I have a 6.5 Grendel for her to whitetail hunt with. Though it has done well for close range whitetail, I don't feel it is a good choice for Mule deer at the suggested ranges. The other two options I have available is a 14lb match rifle in 6mm Creedmoor or a 300wsm. I'm unsure that a 100-110gr 6mm is enough and personally think the 300wsm will be a bit much recoil. The two cartridges that come to mind that I think would be a good middle of the road cartridge for this application would be the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC. It wouldn't take much for me to spin up another barrel and swap it out ...accept for the fact that I don't have a barrel laying around. Maybe I can get by with what I have or maybe I need to buy a barrel? Looking for some ideas and opinions. Also to add, I have never hunted Mule deer so it will be a new adventure for the both of us. Thanks ahead of time for any tips, tricks & advice

Hi, I agree with all the suggestions of using a .243, with a bullet in the 85 to 100 grain range. The Rate of Twist of the rifles barrel will tell you what bullet weight it likes. I think a real consideration should be the Rifles Stock. Depending on the child's build, the Length of Pull, and Comb Height and Grip Thickness will need to be modified. If the child cannot properly mount and hold the rifle, and Squeeze the Trigger ,then its less likely they will hit the target .( No matter what caliber you picked ) I suggest a synthetic stock, Cut it , Shape it and Sand it , then paint it flat grey or sand color , and really make it fit the child, with her hunting coat on. Enjoy the hunt !! Thanks Guys, Lenny

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.