Suggestions, thoughts on rifle build

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by bowhunter020, Jan 9, 2019.

1. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Not really, the deer can't tell the difference between being hit with the Rum and the .260. Just don't use a frangible bullet and you still get controlled expansion and if you put it where it belongs a stone dead deer.

2. WildRose

I sincerely hope you feel better after letting all of that out.

3. bowhunter020

bowhunter020 Active Member

Any idea if this would work with the current. 223 actions I have??

4. FIGJAM

FIGJAM Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

It won’t work. It reqires a magnum bolt face.

5. WildRose

Swapping bolts isn't a big deal.

6. FIGJAM

It just costs a little $$

7. Sirrated

Sirrated Member

Looks to me that there's only one rifle missing from your armory,,, 7mm Rem mag.Easy pickings when it comes to ammo, excellent for those 500-1000 metre shots and nearly every company makes one. Good luck.

8. Weatherby Fan

Weatherby Fan Well-Known Member

I would suggest a 6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC,
    Would be a good mix from your 223 to your 300

bowhunter020 and blackaj like this.
  9. WildRose

Yep, and not a whole lot of them. You can pick up a new bolt assembly for around 175.00 last I checked anyhow and you can pick up a complete used bolt usually for about half or a third of that.

10. hesse

hesse Well-Known Member

26 Nosler. Or the 270 wsm is a great choice best if u hand load

11. AD5GB

AD5GB Active Member

I shoot both the .270 Winchester and the 300 Win Mag. Both shoot very "flat" and have put meat in the freezer. Both have custom barrels (Krieger and Brux respectively) so they're incredibly accurate - 1/2 MOA or less with decent hand loads. That said I could walk into any sporting goods store and buy factory ammo for either if needed.

Just my $.02 worth... :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. bowhunter020

bowhunter020 Active Member

Is the 26 nosler going to be more of a barrel burning than other short action cartridges?

13. FIGJAM

Yes. The 26 Nosler is a barrel burner, more so than a 6.5 prc or creedmoor...But if it is a dedicated hunting rifle, it will still last you a lot of years.

14. johnlittletree

johnlittletree Well-Known Member

If you just want to kill a deer at 650m max you can do that with a 243, 308, 30-06, 25-06,260, 280, 7-08.....Now the flat part is another thing. How much powder do you want to burn to take a deer? In terms of flat shooting how flat is flat? I would feel like an idiot shooting at white tail deer with a 300 Win Mag or the like. Same thing shooting squirrel 30 feet away with a 45-70 Govt. you can do but why? In states were it is legal you could drop deer all day with a 223/5.56 NATO

On a practical note no amount of flat shooting will eliminate basic marksmanship at 650m! Wind correction, applying proper lead and follow through would still be important at 650m even if you were shooting a 300 Weatherby or 7mm STW.

If only one company makes brass for it I do not care if the cartridge flys as flat as a laser I would say no and move on. Nothing about 650m is a ballistic challenge marksmanship challenge sure but not a challenge for a your run of the mill cartridge from 1900 on up. Now if you wanted to kill Elephants from 650m that would be a challenge!

What none of the regulars on this sight that drink the gun industry kool-aid bring up is that the best VLD's in 6mm and 6.5mm are not great performers hunting because they suffer regularly from jacket separation. On top of that most factory built rifles are still using twist rates from 30 years ago. Who builds a 30cal rifle and spec.'s a 1:12 twist in 2019? That is just one example. The best hunting bullets for things larger than varmints are not VLD's in 6mm and 6.5mm. For instance the 100gr. soft points for 243 Win are fantastic on Deer most of the VLD's not so much.

On a piratical note a $50 Mauser picked out of a barrel at the local gas station with iron sights can harvest deer no problem if your eye's are up to it.

My point is because it is deer and only 650m you have a huge number of cartridges to chose from. Accurate ranging and knowing the actual balistics of your cartridge based on weather conditions is far more important. Knowing how the powder in your pet load behaves at different temperatures can be huge if it is an older powder and very temp. sensitive.