Suggestions on reliable compact scope for my son

megastink

I built my son a 6mm Creedmoor with a little 16" barrel. Its jut for him to learn how to shoot with. I want to get him a good optic for for it, but I'm not sure what direction to go in. It doesn't need to be high magnification; probably 1-8, 2-10, or 3-9. He'll learn how to adjust the turrets, so they need to be reliable and finger adjustable. I'd like to keep it below 20oz. I'm hoping for a side focus model.

My first thought was a Leupold 4.5-14x40. But I've owned one and was not very impressed by it. I also thought that a SWFA 3-9 mil quad would fit the bill, but no side focus (which might not be a deal breaker). I might still end up with one of these models, as they fit into my price range. But before I buy, I'd like to hear from the community. I'm open to all suggestions. TIA!

There are so many options that it can be overwhelming. I am admittedly a Leupold fan. However, I have some lower tier Vortex that are decent. Budget will be a big factor in determining where to start. The VX3HD with side focus is a significant upgrade over prior VX3 models. It comes at more premium cost though.

Slightly over your weight goal by about 3oz, but Element Optics has the Helix 4-16x44 FFP model right in that same price range. I prefer my Helix to any of the comparably priced SWFA's I have owned, and personally not a Leupold fan. Would give him nice tactile clicks for dialing, size focus, etc. Looks like camera land is running a deal right now where you could get scope and some Warne rings for $460.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...4f1f-93df-d6f5a8428b8a?filters=207708:"4-16x"

If he is just learning to dial and adjust I would maybe suggest something that doesn't have a side parallax adjust. Look at the VX-Freedom 3-9 CDS. In smaller mag ranges and simpler designs you can get away with not having a parallax adjust as they are set around 100yds from the factory.

The Athlon Helos Gen2 2-12 might work well in that situation as well.

Recent Posts